Skip to main content

Box Tales

gift box with string tying it together and a tag hanging from where the strings connect

In seeing the proliferation of book boxes that are available online and in sharing about The Baby-Sitters Collectors Club subscription that I had as a child on Instagram, it made me wonder if some of the popularity of these boxes may be harkening back to childhood when we used to receive letters and packages from pen pals. You know, the items other than bills and the junk mail that seems to be so prevalent now. Even after a while, the packages that arrive from online shopping tend to be associated with stress (at least for me), where I am wondering if anything has been damaged inside, whether it'll arrive in time, or any other thoughts that I definitely didn't have when this service wasn't as readily available.

Part of it is that I wonder if I've become so blasé about receiving things that the joy and wonder have been taken out. At the end of the day, there really isn't much mystery involved when I know that I'm receiving a certain something, and I—unfortunately—act with more expectation than I do with gratitude. Thinking back a few decades, I remember how marvelous it felt to receive my first books in the mail; now, it feels like such a commonplace occurrence that I usually think about how deliveries affect my schedule instead of what I'm actually getting. This makes me thankful that the act of unboxing is alive and well, where it is such a nice experience to see others' excitement rubbing off on others.

I've also been pondering the element of surprise and whether that influences the amount of anticipation we have in opening such packages. It's probably for this reason that I've been tempted to sign up for a book box subscription, mostly for the sheer delight of feeling like others are picking out gifts for me. At the same time, this has likely kept me from signing up as I fear that I'll receive something I won't want or something I already have. I've probably flip-flopped on this where on the one hand, it would be nice to know what I'm getting so that I can prepare for it. On the other, there's something to be said about not having a clue about anything when opening up a package.

With that in mind, I have been considering what would entice me to sign up for a book box subscription (providing that shipping to Canada isn't so outrageous that it's the same cost as the subscription!). I'd probably want to enjoy the following things:

  • Curated or vetted Christian books
  • If it's fictional, the option to omit genres that I wouldn't read
  • If it's non-fictional, the option to omit certain topics or authors
  • Book paraphernalia that is useful (although I do already have a lot of bookmarks 😄)
  • The option to skip a month or two
  • The option to pick themed book boxes where everything in the box is connected to each other (there are some immersive options that I've seen!), such as for the holidays or if the book is about a particular topic
  • Products that support local businesses rather than mass-produced items
  • If food is involved, a way to avoid allergens
  • Fun and simple things, like handwritten notes, behind the scenes information, and more - nothing too expensive or difficult to procure
I didn't think I'd be that picky, but I suppose I am based on this list 😂 I'm also the type where I prefer to get books on sale where possible, so I have to admit that the overall price of these subscriptions has also kept me away. It's still something I'd consider under the right circumstances, especially if I know that I'm helping a small business, but it might be a while yet—we shall see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...