Skip to main content

Thoughts on Devotionals

leaves scattered on wooden picnic table with Bible open to the Psalms

Leading into the Christmas season, I start thinking about devotional books that I might be interested in reading. I've realized in recent years how much more difficult it's becoming. If you think about it, devotionals are books that you generally commit to reading daily, and unless you go for some that are shorter than 365 days, like the monthly ones, you're pretty much using the same book all year.

It's interesting that devotional books are something that my husband and I both grew up with separately, but which we enjoy as part of our Bible reading and quiet time routine. It has actually been a fun gift to get him in past years, although I find that I'm getting more stumped as the years go by. There have been years where we've reread past devotional books or traded them with each other, so we do try to make the most use of what we have.

I wonder what types of criteria people use as they determine what devotional book to go through. For myself, I know of a few things I would prefer not to have, which isn't always the best criteria to narrow down ideas! Some of these include:

  • Devotional books that use the day of the year as opposed to the calendar date. For maybe three quarters of the year, I'm looking out what numerical day it is so that I'm not falling too far behind.
  • Overly themed devotional books, such as ones for women, men, graduates, etc. These make great gifts, but I don't tend to gravitate toward them as it can be too niche a subject (and variety is nice!).
  • Not including the Bible passage. Some include a reference but it's quite nice to see at a glance what the message is expounding on by being able to view the Scripture verses at the same time. As long as the translation is included, I'm all good.
  • Books that are more feelings-based than Scriptural-based. Yes, life is tough, but reading 365 messages on how we're feeling overwhelmed doesn't seem to help the matter 😄
  • Celebrity-endorsed or persona-based devotionals. I'm not saying that a devotional book can't be written by one person (there are classics like Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest, which we've read multiple times), but then there are the ones that seem to be more about the author than about God.
  • Devotionals that convey a very specific interpretation of Scripture that can overshadow the rest of the volume. Unfortunately, I found this with Morning and Evening: The Classic Daily Devotional by Charles Spurgeon where he repeatedly talked about the spiritual allegories of the Song of Songs, which seemed a little out of proportion compared to how many other books were referenced. We ended up giving this one away.

With those things in mind, I have gravitated toward more of the classic devotionals. This year, I decided to read God with Us: 365 Devotions on the Person and Work of Christ. While a lot of it has been deep and rich, it can become a little bit repetitive, which is not what I want to feel when reading through so many excerpts from church fathers! If there's a devotional that might be interesting for me to check out next year, I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...