Skip to main content

Review: Sustainable Home

Sustainable Home book cover on blue background

I found encountered Christine Liu's content on her YouTube channel several years back. In fact, I would say that she has been an instrumental person in helping me to live as sustainable a life I can as a Christian. A believer herself, her content reflects her desire to love God and to love other people by not getting encumbered by the things of this world. When her book, Sustainable Home, first came out, I was delighted to read it right away and I am thankful that her book is still on the shelves at bookstores today.

Book Synopsis

Sustainable Home is a stylish, inspirational and practical guidebook to maintaining a more environmentally friendly household.

Sustainable lifestyle blogger and professional Christine Liu takes you on a tour through the rooms of your home – the living area, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom – offering tips, tricks and 18 step-by-step projects designed to help you lead a more low-impact lifestyle.

From guidance on decluttering and living minimally to advice about plant-based foods to tips on repairing old clothes, this book touches every aspect of home life.

Whether it's by making your own toothpaste, converting to renewable energy sources, reducing your consumption of plastic, growing your own herb garden or upcycling old pieces of furniture, the projects in this book offer numerous ways – both big and small – to make a difference.

With environmental issues at the forefront of global politics, the desire to make small changes on an individual level is on the rise; this book will guide anyone hoping to make a difference, but who perhaps don’t know where to begin.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I remember when slow living was all the rage, pre-pandemic, and how bloggers and Instagrammers almost seemed to compete with each other by sharing how empty their houses were. I admit that it was easy to think that I could be so minimal with my belongings because I'm naturally an organized person. Not only did I fail spectacularly, I realized that minimalism as a goal in itself didn't quite lead to all of the results it promises. This is where Christine's book and her content challenged me (and which God used to convict me); instead of chasing less, chasing better could have a more lasting impact—though minimalists would say that chasing less is chasing better, which makes sense as they can go hand-in-hand and Christine does have sections on minimalism. If anything, I came to see that belongings are representative of our inner values and can reveal our vices, such as greed and gluttony. By covering everything from our living environments to what we eat and even how we travel, Sustainable Home provides practical and guilt-free suggestions that can help Christians to be better stewards of our homes and world.

Christine's background in packaging sustainability, coupled with her gentle words and faith, differentiates her from the other books I have read around sustainability where there are undertones of anger and shame. Instead, her approach through her book is to show what is possible and that the actions we take do matter as an expression of our faith. Her witness has been profound and her voice in advocating for God's creation stands out. She not only believes in this important work, she also lives it out (her wedding to Peter still stands out in my mind, years later!). Though Christians may be divided on current environmental affairs, I would say that becoming more sustainable in my life has impacted how I view things and how I desire to extend stewardship to other parts of my life. As an introductory tome to sustainable living, I would recommend this book as its calming content can bring rest to a weary soul that is bombarded by so many messages in this world.

Side note: While Christine is a Christian author, I would also note that this book is not being marketed as a Christian book and is instead a mainstream book. However, the messages are still pertinent, and there are other Christian books that delve into the theology of care for creation that complement Sustainable Home.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...