Skip to main content

Review: Something's Not Right

Something's Not Right book cover on blue background

In the wake of horrific abuse taking place in evangelical churches and organizations, Christians and non-Christians alike have been victimized and abused by those in power. This heartbreaking and tragic scenario is unfortunately, not altogether uncommon. When news broke regarding Bill Hybels and Ravi Zacharias (and many others), one of the voices that spoke to these scandals was Wade Mullen. I appreciated his stance in that he was sensitive to the victims while being unrelentingly firm in how perpetrators should be treated. As a result, I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to read Something's Not Right: Decoding the Hidden Tactics of Abuse and Freeing Yourself from Its Power.

Book Synopsis

“Am I the only one who sees this―am I just imagining things? Is something wrong with me . . . or could this be abuse?”

Maybe you don’t know for sure: all you know is something feels off when you think about a certain relationship or interaction with an institution or organization. You feel alone and confused―but calling it “abuse” feels extreme and unsettling, a label for what happens to other people but not you. Yet you can’t shake the feeling: something’s not right.

In his debut book, researcher and advocate Wade Mullen introduces us to the groundbreaking world of impression management―the strategies that individuals and organizations utilize to gain power and cover up their wrongdoings. Mullen reveals a pattern that accompanies many types of abuse, almost as if abusers are somehow reading from the same playbook. If we can learn to decode these evil methods―if we can learn the language of abuse―we can help stop the cycle and make abusers less effective at accomplishing destruction in our lives.

Something’s Not Right will help you to identify and describe tactics that were previously unidentifiable and indescribable, and give you the language you need to move toward freedom and create a safer future for yourself and others.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Something's Not Right is a deeply personal read that's troubling at the same time. Troubling in that if you have not experienced abuse at the hands of others, you likely know someone who has. At the same time, this book is a sad commentary on how many churches and Christian organizations have fallen into the trap of impression management over caring for the people that most need it. Wade Mullen's critical work spells out some of the ways that abusers seek to gain power over others or use their influence to stifle the voices of those they victimize. As the subtitle states, this book provides a framework in which to understand what is happening when abuse occurs, empowering survivors to name exactly what they have suffered.

In the context of both personal and organizational abuse, this book offers clarity and a way forward on a dark subject. What's most reassuring is the knowledge that survivors of abuse from Christian organizations are not alone. It's astounding how often we witness certain behaviours take place and not know what has contributed to it. Here, the author lifts the curtain and gives readers the opportunity to understand why it is that organizations will do everything they can to protect their reputation when this is what makes the abuse worse. On the topic of spiritual abuse, Wade Mullen offers hope to survivors while illuminating truth in such a way that it cannot be ignored. Christian organizations would do well to heed the warnings in this book and act now to prevent abuse from taking place lest it is too late and it impedes their Christian witness. If you're looking for a book that gives victims their voice back, this is it.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

  1. Yes, amazing book and difficult but very needed topic to address.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...