Skip to main content

Review: A Royal Christmas

A Royal Christmas book cover on blue blackground

It's such a treat to continue with my summer of Christmas reading. A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson combines my love for books about royalty along with my favourite holiday!

Many thanks to Revell for sending a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She's been working hard to put herself through law school and now that the end is in sight, she's determined to stay focused on her goals. Then she receives a letter notifying her that she has been found through a DNA registry to be a direct descendant of King Maximillian V, the ruler of a small Eastern European principality called Montovia. She's understandably skeptical. This is the stuff of cheesy made-for-TV movies, not real life.

Although the pieces of this surprising family puzzle seem too good to be true, curiosity gets the best of her. At the king's invitation, Adelaide embarks on a Christmas break trip that is chock-full of surprises, including a charming village, an opulent palace, family mysteries, royal jealousies, a handsome young member of Parliament--and the chance at a real fairy tale romance with a happily-ever-after ending.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

A Royal Christmas is a delightful escape into the country of Montovia with plenty of German treats and traditions. Adelaide is a strong young woman who is not easily cowed by others, and makes for a heroine who exudes kindness while holding steadfast to her identity and principles. Though this is a novella, a lot of ground is covered with a hint of suspense, intrigue, romance, and familial relations set against a lovely European backdrop. This book has the feel of a Christmas market wrapped up in family and faith, and of course, a dose of royalty. What charmed me most were the characters of Anton and Albert, who treated Adelaide with the utmost respect and care as she learned how to navigate a new culture, language, and nation.

A prominent theme in this book is that of trusting in God, even when there are questions and lingering doubts. Despite Adelaide being plunged into a nearly unbelievable situation, she handles it with grace and aplomb, believing that God has a purpose and a plan for her life. Difficulties are not shied away from and there is a sense of realism within an imaginary world. I admired Adelaide's practical nature and appreciated her intellectual prowess. Both character traits allowed her to shine through and portray an intelligent woman who feels a sense of responsibility for others. This book excelled in demonstrating what self-sacrificial love looks like, along with believing in God's timing. If Melody's other Christmas novellas are similar to A Royal Christmas, I'd heartily read more from her.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 🕮
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

"I assign that task to you, mein lieber. Will you arrange the Weihnachtskrippe for me?" "I would be honored, Father." "Christmas is about the babe in the manger," he said solemnly. "We need not forget that. Can you do it tomorrow, Adelaide? For the start of Advent?" "I'd love to."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...