Skip to main content

Review: Rescued by the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #1

Rescued by the Hero book cover on blue background

It seems fitting that this book popped up during my summer of Christmas reading. Ironically, I started this series and did not clue in that it was all Christmas-themed until after I began reading and wondered why so many titles had to do with Christmas 😄 I was a little slow on the uptake, but now I get to prolong the season even further!

This series is called the Heroes of Freedom Ridge, which I first heard about from one of my favourite authors, Liwen Y. Ho. I'm only a few titles in but I'll see how far I can get with all 18 books (!).

I finished the first book, Rescued by the Hero by Mandi Blake, and it was a wonderful introduction to this world and cast of characters based in Freedom, Colorado. One of the benefits of reading a long series is that I will get to revisit this setting time and again. If the remaining books are anything like the series opener, I will be in for a great ride this year. Overall, I would recommend the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series based on how many authors are involved in it, the messages of faith I have come across, and of course, the mountain setting.

Book Synopsis

The hardest part about this fake relationship is hiding it from her brother. Especially when it doesn't feel fake. 

Joanna Drake can’t wait to escape to Freedom Ridge for the holidays. She needs to put hundreds of miles between her and her creepy coworker who won’t seem to take no for an answer. When she runs into her brother’s best friend at the ski resort, every relationship gets complicated.

Aiden Clark is shocked to find out that his best friend brought his little sister along on vacation, especially when he finds himself interested in getting to know her. When she asks him to play along as her boyfriend to ward off an unwanted pursuer, he wholeheartedly agrees despite his friend’s warnings to stay away from her.

Between hiding their fake relationship from her brother and flaunting it in front of her pursuer, Aiden and Joanna find themselves wishing the relationship was as real as it seems under the mistletoe. When their ruse is exposed and Joanna is in danger, Aiden will have to put it all on the line to bring her home.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

In this book, Mandi was able to capture the Hallmark Christmas vibes while introducing some suspense, which made for a captivating read. Joanna and Aiden's story was heartwarming while set amidst a very real concern and danger that women can face. This story was perfectly balanced between frightening situations and the developing love story, propelling me through the pages in short order.

The staff at Freedom Ridge Resort came across as caring and competent professionals, which makes me excited to find out how many of them will have their own stories. The only unlikable person was a particular sibling, but even then, I had to bite my tongue in case they might be the main character of a future book. While I was grateful that this character experienced some self-realization, it felt like they could have done more considering all the danger they introduced. Other than that minor detail, the rest of the book was faith-filled and adventure-packed. This brother's best friend story with some fake dating helps set the stage for what's next in the series!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

"She means a lot to me, and I want to be good for her. I want it to work. I don't want to live a life just for me anymore. I want to be a man worthy of Your sacrifice. I want to be a good man for a good woman."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...