Skip to main content

Review: Love Pact with the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #2

Love Pact with the Hero book cover on blue background

After finishing the first book in the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series, I immediately started Liwen Y. Ho's book, Love Pact with the Hero, and have enjoyed it as much as all of her other amazing books.

Book Synopsis

Two best friends. One little girl’s prayers. And a love pact that may be the answer to all of their Christmas wishes.

Haven Alexander used to believe in happy ever afters—before she lost her husband and became a single mom. These days, she keeps herself busy as the event planner at Freedom Ridge Lodge, helping to make other couples’ dreams come true. Her other job? Humoring Miah, her spunky three-year-old daughter, who has a dream of her own: finding herself a daddy. This task proves challenging, though, when Miah sets her sights on Haven’s childhood friend who comes home for a visit.

Jeremiah Gilbert left Freedom a dozen years ago with a bad reputation and an even worse regret: not confessing his love for his best friend, Haven. He has returned, however, older and wiser, and ready to rekindle their friendship—and more. There’s a promise on the line, one they made in high school, that he longs to fulfill. Winning over her daughter, Miah, is easy, but helping to heal Haven’s broken heart proves to be nearly impossible.

When Miah gets into a dangerous situation, these old friends must put the past behind them and find new ways to trust in each other and in the One able to meet their deepest needs.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book has all the tropes (best friend's brother, love pact, second chances), but weaves them together in such a redemptive and sweet story that has been developing in the characters' lives since junior high school. The premise of receiving future-dated promises is the catalyst for a life-changing journey for Jeremiah and Haven (and Miah!). The element of faith in Love Pact with the Hero is touching, with characters going through what it looks like to trust in God when life brings valleys and peaks. I appreciated the persistent nature of the hero, who in a way exemplifies God's love and patience towards us. It is ironic that Jeremiah exhibits so much grace toward Haven, yet doesn't see that he needs the same message himself. Seeing these two characters better understand themselves and who God is makes this book richly rewarding to read.

One of the other things I have appreciated about Liwen's writing is just how well she captures emotions as vividly as she does. This makes her characters extremely relatable and easy to empathize with when reading, even from a three-year old or a military hero's perspective. The way she can get into each character's mind is astounding and is something that I look forward to in all of her novels. (And just for fun, I think there's a cameo in there from her family 🐶!)

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

As she was about to stand up, though, an urge pricked her heart and made her gasp. How could she have forgotten to pray? There was nothing more important than asking God for help. She may have lived for years without acknowledging Him, but not anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...