Skip to main content

World Paperback Day

Chapter Two bookstore with window in background and bookcase underneath beside two larger bookcases

Happy Paperback Book Day!

To celebrate this book holiday, my husband took me to a new and used bookstore in the mountain town of Canmore, Alberta.

Even though Banff National Park (the first national park in Canada!) is nearby and much more well-known, there seems to be no existing bookstores left within the town of Banff—at least none that I could find in my research as the Indigospirit (mini version of a Chapters Indigo store) in Cascade Shops closed down a few years prior and the gift shops only supply a few local area interest books.

In terms of charm and everything that you can picture for bibliophiles, Café Books in Canmore hits the mark. The staff kindly let me take pictures of my excursion today, including the one above of their children's and fiction used books. Café Books is divided into two storefronts that are connected by a hallway with the front store entrance containing new books and book-related merchandise, and the back section an area for used books in a store that is unsurprisingly called Chapter Two. Once upon a time, Chapter Two hosted afternoon tea and served drinks and food, but it appears that this stopped around the time of the pandemic. The café seems to be a relic of those days, but the books certainly live on.

My hope was to find a paperback book to add to my shelves; however, there weren't many Christian books—they're the ones housed in the white cage-like bookshelf below with some non-Christian titles mixed in. While I was unsuccessful in finding a title, I'm grateful that we can celebrate paperbacks as they are a much more accessible and affordable way to read books. To learn that the history of this day originated with Penguin paperbacks made the picture of the classics books more special (the sign on the door behind the staircase is a directional sign toward Narnia 😉).

Café Books storefront with flowers and plants on the left side and a paperback book carousel on the right side and open doors in the middle

wooden staircase housing books in from of sealed door with bookcases to the right of staircase and door

arched bookcase unit with glass door holding books on top of dresser beside bookcase of business books

bookshelf on the left side of picture with middle table housing book-related puzzles and more book displays on the right side

Since this is the only bookstore near the Banff area, it's well worth exploring and admiring all of the interesting book displays. I imagine this is a popular stop as visitors are greeted with a large display of Out of Print merchandise when they enter, showcasing a love of literature. It was fairly busy, so I didn't capture any pictures of the front, but the back area leading to the children's section has an entire table filled with puzzles that are book-themed!

Caveat: In checking for any other bookstores in the Banff townsite area that I might have overlooked, it looks like there are two located in Lake Louise, Alberta. If I'm missing any others, I'm happy to hear about them so I can pay a visit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...