Skip to main content

Keeping Things in Order

colourful books stacked on bookshelves

As I organize myself in preparation of tackling the ever-growing, never-ending TBR pile, I am struck by how people organize their home libraries, especially after my journey between minimalism and maximalism. As much as the trend is to organize by colour right now, I would be even more mixed up in trying to locate titles. Since my preference is to keep books in publication order for each author, this helps series to remain together (for the most part). I also enjoy seeing the evolution of how authors write as their books progress.

Furthermore, there seems to be more attention paid to how spines can look, thus leading to some of my favourite series depicting complete scenes when placed next to each other in order—a real visual feast! My absolute favourite to date is the Hope and Glory series from Elizabeth Camden for both the spine art and the cover art which all links together. I couldn't imagine breaking those titles up for aesthetic value when it already exists. A visual cacophony of colours, if you will, is still eye-catching to regard.

With my books already categorized by genre and then sorted alphabetically by author, it shouldn't be too difficult to locate the next read. While I have a LibraryThing account that catalogues everything I have, it is not fully accurate as there remain some titles that I have donated and not tracked accordingly. However, I am grateful for this service as it's a handy reminder of what books I need to read, including the ARCs I received from the Early Reviewers program.

There are several methods that I am thinking of utilizing to sort out which books I should tackle first. The first is to go back to my LibraryThing account and compile a list of my oldest TBR books. I started doing this recently and was amazed at how many books remain on the list from when I was in college several decades ago. The second is to randomize the books to read in which I have written down the authors' names and placed them on scrap pieces of paper to be drawn at whim.

While my Christian non-fiction list really reflects the genres I have been interested in over time, telling its own story, I cannot say the same for Christian fiction. Therefore, I believe I will approach the non-fiction titles a little more systematically and the fiction titles with a little more surprise. I wish I had the time or capability of wrapping up my TBRs nicely in kraft paper as some Bookstagrammers are doing, but I am content to draw names for now. Although I have joked with my husband that he can re-gift me the books I have not yet read, I may prefer the element of surprise to come a different way 😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Anytime - Mayberry University #3

This is it! Anytime by Kristina Welch  is the third book in the Mayberry University series where we get to encounter students with a heart for Jesus and a passion to serve Him wherever He calls them. In this opposites attract new adult romance, we meet Janie and Mav who are like day and night in their personalities and temperaments in every way, except in their love for God. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of:  While Anytime could be read as a standalone, this is a heads up that there is a lot of terminology that is dependent on the previous books, especially around the university itself with all of the lingo and the nicknames for the characters. A man's shirt is also removed and there is talk of skimpy clothing. Book Synopsis Rigid productivity queen,  meet prank-loving chaos monger. Can he wait for God to lead the way? Can she stop trying to map it all out...

Review: The Marriage Goal - The Reluctant Romantics #4

As one of my favourite series that I've read over the past year,  The Reluctant Romantics series  keeps knocking it out of the park with each new release. The Marriage Goal by Morgan Taylor Giesbrecht is a book you'll want to enjoy with Christmas around the corner, filled with plenty of literature-infused banter and heartwarming moments along the way. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis To love and to cherish, until death or visa fraud do us part. Juliet: Taking a job as the Caldwell Chargers' new legal counsel was a calculated risk of pros and cons. Pro: it’s a prestigious position at my age. Con: I’m stuck working with my older brother’s best friend—the man who broke my teenage heart eight years ago. I’ve spent years avoiding Myles Delavan, and now he’s everywhere. The flirty goalie with gorgeous hair is a tempting distraction I can’t afford. Right up there with my med...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...