Skip to main content

About Me

woman reading a book on a swing against city skyline

I normally shy away from sharing too much about myself as I stopped being active on social media almost a decade ago. When I mentioned that I casually browsed Bookstagram, I had been doing it with an account that contained zero content and zero followers at the time. This is now (slowly!) changing as I become more active on this blog. Because I would like to maintain my anonymity as much as possible, my biographical information will be scant, although I am sure that aspects of my life will emerge the more I share.

Just so there is some context, here are some details about me:

  • I am Canadian. I feel the need to mention this first as most of the Christian reading community seems to be American, and there is not always the same access to information, book promotions, and even vendors for those of us up north (there are many publishers that do not ship books or send advanced reader copies to Canadians, but I hope this will change).
  • I am an avid reader. I have averaged over 100 or more books a year for the past decade, with a few years where I have exceeded 200 or 300 books. With the emergence of audio book availability, this number has increased substantially for me over time. I do not always read Christian materials and tend to read quite widely, but a significant portion is Christian—hence the blog 😀
  • I have worked in a number of libraries (and one bookstore) throughout my life. Seeing the other side of books makes me even more thrilled that books remain popular and widely available.
  • I am a published author (non-fiction). This is another side of books that has helped me appreciate reading even more. Though this is relatively recent for me, if God opens the door for me to write more, I would happily pursue those opportunities. I have also been a casual book reviewer, starting about 15 years ago. As I begin to catch up to a lot of ARCs, I am striving to get better at completing these in a timelier manner.
  • I am both a Bible college and seminary graduate. This has shaped how I approach reading Christian books, which may explain my thought process when I go into them a bit more. At the very least, I hope it lends me a slight bit of credibility!

I look forward to sharing more thoughts as time goes on, and if this blog does end up growing, to be able to meet other like-minded readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Marriage Goal - The Reluctant Romantics #4

As one of my favourite series that I've read over the past year,  The Reluctant Romantics series  keeps knocking it out of the park with each new release. The Marriage Goal by Morgan Taylor Giesbrecht is a book you'll want to enjoy with Christmas around the corner, filled with plenty of literature-infused banter and heartwarming moments along the way. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis To love and to cherish, until death or visa fraud do us part. Juliet: Taking a job as the Caldwell Chargers' new legal counsel was a calculated risk of pros and cons. Pro: it’s a prestigious position at my age. Con: I’m stuck working with my older brother’s best friend—the man who broke my teenage heart eight years ago. I’ve spent years avoiding Myles Delavan, and now he’s everywhere. The flirty goalie with gorgeous hair is a tempting distraction I can’t afford. Right up there with my med...

Review: Anytime - Mayberry University #3

This is it! Anytime by Kristina Welch  is the third book in the Mayberry University series where we get to encounter students with a heart for Jesus and a passion to serve Him wherever He calls them. In this opposites attract new adult romance, we meet Janie and Mav who are like day and night in their personalities and temperaments in every way, except in their love for God. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of:  While Anytime could be read as a standalone, this is a heads up that there is a lot of terminology that is dependent on the previous books, especially around the university itself with all of the lingo and the nicknames for the characters. A man's shirt is also removed and there is talk of skimpy clothing. Book Synopsis Rigid productivity queen,  meet prank-loving chaos monger. Can he wait for God to lead the way? Can she stop trying to map it all out...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...