Skip to main content

Review: Rise of the Falcon - Refuge #2

Rise of the Falcon book cover on blue background

I have been awaiting Gaacรณ's story ever since we first got to meet him in The Call of Living Water, the first book in the Refuge series by Alexis M. Melvin.

In Rise of the Falcon, we also get to know Mar, the doctor who has played a pivotal role in helping her people. This unique series is worth binging, especially if you're looking to be transported to a different continent and setting.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

A jungle chief.

A village doctor.

A threat to the tribes they both love.

Finding a connection built on past friendship, Gaacรณ and Mar work together to protect their people. Gaacรณ's new faith demands he trust the God of Living Water above his own strength. But trusting God in the midst of heartache and danger proves more difficult than he ever imagined. Meanwhile, Mar finds herself being drawn back to the jungle and tribal life - but her return threatens to uncover secrets she's not ready to face.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I am completely enamored by this story of Mar and Gaacรณ! In many ways, Gaacรณ reminds me of the Apostle Paul in that his life is transformed just as completely in once being against God and His people to now winning others to Him. Getting to see him learn how to apply Christian truths to his calling and relationships is a delight and a growth-filled journey that demonstrates how God cares for every single detail in our lives. There is no struggle that is beyond His sovereignty and concern. I also love that Mar is heading down a similar path as a more established believer, showing us what continual surrender looks like. Seeing her plans and thinking upended reminds us that we are not in control of our destinies.

With the Refuge series, Alexis M. Melvin richly portrays tribal life and all of its sights and senses without glamourizing some of the evil and superstitious practices that people have taken on. Portraying them in a compassionate light, she shows why the need for the God of Living Water is so strong and how only He can break people from the chains of oppression and hopelessness. Avid fans of missionary fiction will love these books and how well they communicate the contextualization of the Gospel in cultural settings different than our own, along with the need to protect vulnerable persons from needless sacrifice and exploitation.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: ๐Ÿ“ฑ
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: ๐Ÿ‘

Book Quotes

"That's not how Jesus loves. He doesn’t love you because of what you can do for Him. He doesn't need you to do anything. He created everything around us. What could you offer him that He doesn't already have?" His lips smoothed out, a small smile pulling them towards the edges of his wide face. "Other than yourself, of course. He just wants you, Mar.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available or you don't qualify for one ๐Ÿ˜Š List last updated: June 4, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: US, Canada, and UK residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availability and eligibilit...

All the Cheese

I've been coming across content within the past several weeks that has stereotyped Christian books (and other mediums) as being cheesy on Christian accounts. While this isn't a new label or even a new topic, what has surprised me somewhat has been seeing more Christian authors jump into this conversation who wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Although some authors will name others whom they believe are writing non-cheesy fiction, I feel as though the damage has been done by repeating this blanket statement. While readers have freely been engaging in this type of commentary for some time, it's been interesting to see authors chime in, where in some cases, there seems to be an emphasis on self-promotion over reflection. I'm not stereotyping and saying that all authors or even the authors I'm connected to respond with this tactic (because I really don't think they do!), but there are a few out there from my limited experience who seem to respond to this disc...

Friday Reads

As much as I am able to do so, I will share some of the current reads I have on the go from my large stack of TBRs. Since I may not review every single title on this blog, especially when I am concurrently reading non-Christian books, it will be a fun way to keep myself on track with the books I want to read within that week. I imagine some titles might take longer than that, so I'll see how this goes as a form of accountability ๐Ÿ˜ƒ For this upcoming week, I hope to finish the following books (sans one!): ๐Ÿ“˜ Christian fiction : On the Beat by Nicole Lam ๐Ÿ“— Christian non-fiction : Surprised by Faith by Dr. Don Bierle ๐Ÿ“™ Non-Christian fiction : Yellowface by R.F. Kuang—just finished! ๐Ÿ“• Non-Christian non-fiction : The Power of Discipline by Daniel Walter