Skip to main content

Review: Evangelism as Exiles

Evangelism as Exiles book cover on blue background

I felt led to read this book at the beginning of September and it ended up painting a more accurate picture of society than I realized. Evangelism as Exiles: Life on Mission as Strangers in our Own Land by Elliot Clark is a book that serves as a wakeup call and the push needed to faithfully live for God when others are hostile and in opposition to your beliefs.

Book Synopsis

The days of cultural Christianity are fading. It's time to rethink normal.

Suffering and exclusion are normal in a believer’s life. At least they should be. This was certainly Jesus's experience. And it's the experience of countless Christians around the world today.

No matter your social location or set of experiences, the biblical letter of 1 Peter wants to redefine your expectations and reinvigorate your hope.

Drawing on years of ministry in a Muslim-majority nation, Elliot Clark guides us through Peter’s letter with striking insights for today. Whether we’re in positions of power or weakness, influence or marginalization, all of us are called to live and witness as exiles in a world that’s not our home. This is our job description. This is our mission. This is our opportunity.

A church in exile doesn’t have to be a church in retreat.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Basing an evangelistic framework off the book of 1 Peter and how Christians lived during that time, there is much to unpack in this volume. First of all, this book is not merely a guide to evangelism; it's a deep-dive into discipleship of how we are to live as Christians in our everyday walks with God. Second, Evangelism as Exiles is grounded in both biblical teachings and missionary praxis. With the author having served in a part of the world where being and becoming a Christian can result in death, the content is more relevant than ever, urging the church to consider what it looks like when a Christian culture no longer exists in society. 

There is a sense of urgency coupled with the confidence that comes from the Holy Spirit that we can talk about our faith with non-believers without needing to feel overwhelmed or out of our depths. This is one of the most practical and focused books I've read on the topic of evangelism, breaking down why we need to evangelize along with how we can go about doing so. Readers will appreciate the author's vulnerability and humility in sharing evangelism lessons learnt while receiving further insights from 1 Peter that will make an impact on how we are to conduct ourselves as exiles.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...