Skip to main content

Review: Ribbons of Guilt - Bite of Betrayal #3

Ribbons of Guilt book cover on blue background

Ever since Harriet first made an appearance in Captured in Frame, I've eagerly been awaiting her story. Ribbons of Guilt is the third book in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, and it finally answers some questions behind the mystery of her marriage. It's been well worth the wait to return to Bramble Downs to discover the threats that have loomed against the Duval family.

Many thanks to Mountain Brook Ink for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: scenes of violence and death, abduction, stalking

Book Synopsis

A marriage in crisis. A betrayer in the wings. A life at stake.

Harriet Duval has it all-a handsome French husband, a delightful young daughter, a successful career as a professional ballerina behind her, and a beautiful future in a charming village in the English countryside. Even her beloved sisters can't see the painful truth she hides beneath her perfect mask...

Successful businessman Leo Duval is at a breaking point physically, emotionally, and spiritually as he is forced to harbor secrets in Paris while his marriage in England dissolves before his very eyes.

The magnetic pull of Harriet's old dancing life and the shocking murder of a Swan Lake ballerina causes her to question everything: faith, future, family. When the killer begins targeting the Duval family, Leo and Harriet's vulnerable marriage is tested by an unimaginable traumatic event. Will the guilt they carry divide them when they need each other most?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The mystery of Harriet and Leo Duval is finally untangled in this book and it's much more sinister than imagined. I’m thankful that I could journey with this married couple as they fight for everything they hold dear without fully realizing what's at stake when they first set out. It's a cautionary tale that demonstrates how seemingly innocuous actions can quickly take a turn for the worse, which is a very apt warning for Christians. Laura Thomas is skilled at keeping readers in suspense as they brace themselves for this domestic thriller filled with secrets and stalking. 

Seeing the three sisters support one another and deliver needed truth makes this book a delight to read. Harriet finds herself spiraling toward a place she never intended to go, and it's a blessing that Sophie and Georgia are there to remind Harriet of her faith. Experiencing Leo’s perspective is a real treat as he grapples with what it means to lead his home spiritually. Readers who enjoy stories about married couples and the challenges they face will appreciate how Ribbons of Guilt offers a solid message about God's grace and forgiveness, wrapped up in a beautiful and hard-fought for bow.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

“I know, I know. It was irrational and I had no right thinking such things. I was a Christian, too. Admittedly, my faith had taken a major back seat while I was hyper-focused on dance and success, but still—I should have known better. I’ve lived with that guilt for years. How dare I?” “Hey.” Leo cupped her cheek. “I’m not one to spout wisdom after everything I’ve done, but what I do know in my heart is that God gives grace.” She nodded. “Grace over guilt. It was my mantra for a long time after that night, but I guess I’ve let it slide recently.”

Comments

  1. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for my book! I am beyond grateful and so encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thrilled that I've been able to read such a captivating series 😀 Your books are an encouragement!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...