Skip to main content

Review: For Us

For Us book cover on blue background

If you've been following April Barcalow for some time, you'll be just as excited to know that she has recently released a marriage devotional. Newsletter subscribers can receive a free copy, and you can learn more about the background of For Us: Seeking God's Heart for Marriage on her website.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

All throughout Scripture, when God wants us to understand the close, intimate relationship He longs to have with us, He uses the imagery of marriage. That’s no coincidence.

Marriage is an echo of the lasting love we share with Him, a framework to help us understand, and a gift. But good marriage, the kind that reflects Him, doesn’t happen without intention. Without building each piece on the solid foundation of Christ. Without choosing one another, even when it’s hard.

This 30-day devotional weaves together Scripture, personal experience, and story threads to seek God’s heart for marriage and to draw us closer to one another as couples.

Source: Author's Website

Book Thoughts

I appreciate that devotionals don't have to be long to pack a punch. This 30-day marriage devotional is one that can easily slide into your day and provide food for thought as you interact with your spouse. It's rich with biblical content and daily prayers that apply these truths to your life. As a storyteller, April Barcalow is gifted in weaving in personal stories along with those she has written to reinforce each day's theme. She clearly has a passion for marriage and this book reflects her desire to see couples strengthened in Christ. 

For Us is a tender reflection of the lessons that we all learn in marriage, communicated in a spirit of grace. At the same time, there is a refining heart behind the content where we are meant to exhort one another. Topics such as loss, grief, weakness, and conflict are covered in a way that is compassionate yet challenging when it comes to becoming more Christ-like. Readers looking for an impactful marriage devotional will enjoy the stories, content, and prayers in this helpful book.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍
Book Quotes

"Let's be honest, the world does a pretty good job of tearing us down. We often come to one another beaten down, worn thin by the demands and criticisms and empty words of this world. What if our marriages could be a haven from that? A safe place where we can be filled up again, built up and sent back out? What if our words could bring life to our spouse? One of the things I'd love to work on in my marriage is to learn to pour words of encouragement over my husband like anointing oil. I want to 'call out the good' in him, as we say in our house."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...