Skip to main content

Review: Muskoka Blue - Original Six Hockey Romance #6

Muskoka Blue book cover on blue background

I normally read books in their series order, but I was excited to have an excuse to jump to this book as its sequel is releasing this week!

Muskoka Blue is the last book in the Original Six Hockey Romance series by Carolyn Miller, but it takes us to the Muskoka Shores series, meaning it's not the last time I get to pay a visit to this scenic part of Canada 😊

Book Synopsis

An ice princess with a broken heart. A pro hockey player with a secret.

For Sarah Maguire, spending the summer at Lake Muskoka was supposed to be about finding the courage to put back the pieces of her shattered life—not falling in love with the charming yet unsophisticated hockey player from next door.

Daniel Walton may have been praying for Miss Right to appear, but Sarah’s ice princess act just cries Miss Wrong. Dan’s summer plans hadn’t included befriending a redhead with a sassy tongue and cute accent, but as Muskoka works its magic he soon discovers that underneath the frost and prickles is the funny, feisty, loving woman he’s waited all his life to meet.

As their friendship deepens, Sarah comes to appreciate Dan’s patience and kindness yet struggles to let go of the past and embrace the future, while Dan, only too conscious of the personal history he wants to forget, questions the wisdom of pursuing a girl whose heart may never be wholly his – who may soon return to live on the opposite side of the world.

Will past regrets lead to further heartbreak? Or can Sarah and Dan learn to leave the past in the past and embrace God’s promises for the future?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

How is that no matter what story I read by Carolyn Miller, there is something in there that resonates with my life and the lessons that God is trying to teach me? I'm amazed at how uncanny this experience has been, especially as I can see glimpses of my own struggles and fears in Sarah Maguire. Recovering from some recent devastating events in her life, Sarah’s guardedness and cautious approach toward others is the perfect soil for God to bring about transformation and spiritual renewal. I especially love seeing Daniel Walton act as her counterpart and appreciate the vitality and persistence that he brings to this story. This slow-burn romance instantly transports me to Muskoka, with a fresh dose of nature adding to the warmth and joy of the close-knit lakefront community.

What enthralls me most about Sarah’s walk with God is how embedded the theme of worship is in her life and interactions with Him. It’s evident that this posture of praise pours out from her heart naturally, and readers are able to join her on her journey as she heals and grapples with the goodness of God after undergoing suffering. Daniel is steadfast and respectful, and I am grateful for how the author has written in his own personal prayers, especially when relating to his unbelieving family members. As a Canadian from outside Ontario, one can overlook him being a Toronto Maple Leaf player after witnessing his humility 😉 If you’re looking for an escape to Lake Muskoka and craving a story about God’s rich and all-encompassing presence, this book will leave you with a song in your heart.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...