Skip to main content

Review: The Secret Ingredient - Holy Grounds #2

The Secret Ingredient book cover on blue background

It's such a joy to read Christmas short stories that offer a meaningful punch. If you're looking for a faith-filled book that will fit into your schedule this season while providing a warm welcome to the Holy Grounds Café, The Secret Ingredient by Kirsten Clark is a great accompaniment to your favourite cozy beverage.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Holy Grounds runs on two things: the nutty, caramel scent of coffee and Sebastien Davenport's beloved cranberry-gingerbread muffins.

When the pastry chef collapses days before Christmas, owner Bridgette Calloway faces an impossible morning rush and an even harder truth: the beloved chef she's leaned on may need her more than ever.

When a frightening diagnosis upends Seb's independence and he's at his lowest, it's his boss he finds himself calling. Perhaps she's more than a boss after all… Bridgette shows up with a Bible, Chinese takeout, and the solid courage he didn't know he needed. In the hush of winter and a kitchen dusted with flour and light, their friendship warms into something deeper. But fear, pride, and new limitations could cost them more than a holiday menu.

As carols ring and candlelight glows, Bridgette and Seb are thrust into uncharted territory and must make a choice. Will they retreat into safety, or put their trust in the God who writes love stories in unexpected places like a coffee sleeve, a baker's bench, and prayer whispered over racks of cooling pastries?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

After reading A Christmas Cup of Joe, I really appreciate getting to return to Holy Grounds where I can learn more about Bridgette and Sebastien in this beautiful Christmas short story. This café is a place where prayers are offered, Bible verses are shared, and the love of Christ is on abundant display. All of these dynamics exist between Bridgette and Sebastien who are more than colleagues and are trusted friends who discover this Christmas that a deep foundation of love has been established all these years. Featuring cameos from their friends, it's encouraging to see how their little community comes together to support them during a medical crisis.

I love that there is a lot packed into this book, with everything from vivid sensations of being in the café to better understanding a medical condition and its management. It's a sweet story that will tug at your heart as you wish for Holy Grounds to be real. Readers looking for a dash of joy with their baked treats will find The Secret Ingredient to be filled with poignant moments of trusting God amid adversity, culminating in a hope that shines brighter at Christmas.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...