Skip to main content

Review: Zenith of Tea - Apron Strings Tea Tales

Zenith of Tea book cover on blue background

Since Asian Heritage Month is the Canadian name for the month-long celebration in May, it makes sense to feature a book set in Canada.

Zenith of Tea by R.F. Whong (pen name for Ruth Wuwong) is a standalone novella in the Apron Strings Tea Tales series and it pretty much encapsulates who I am as a Chinese-Canadian Christian, featuring main characters who share the same identity and background.

I am thrilled to have discovered it and it makes me very grateful that Christian Bookstagram introduced this book to me. Inspired by The Nightingale, this story relays a dark moment in Canadian history while offering hope through Christ.

Book Synopsis

A cookbook, a glimmer of fairy tale, a spoonful of history, and a teacup of hope.

In the early 1920s, accomplished martial artist Wang Mijen is haunted by her past and the red birthmark that she believes prompted her family to abandon her at six. She survives by robbing ancient tombs and living in a cave concealed from the soldiers. When she saves Joseph Cheung, a Chinese Christian educated in Canada, from bandits, her insecurities whisper that such a man could never love an “ugly” girl like her.

Growing up in San Francisco’s Chinatown, Joseph experienced anti-Chinese prejudice. Still, he helps Mijen move to Canada to avoid danger. In Vancouver, amidst anti-Asian riots and the looming Chinese Exclusion Act, Joseph helps Mijen open a teahouse. As they work together to rescue young women trafficked into brothels in North America, Joseph’s unwavering faith and fight for equality challenge Mijen’s hardened heart.

From China to Canada, can Mijen and Joseph overcome their challenges, rediscover their identities, and open their hearts to each other?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This is the Christian fiction book I've always wanted to read! It not only features Chinese characters from mainland China and those born overseas, it also takes place in Canada just before the Chinese Exclusion Act takes effect. Offering a Christian perspective on how Chinese-Canadians felt during this tumultuous and violent time, this book shares how the Chinese church helped community members face terrifying circumstances as a result of racism and discrimination. By incorporating details like the head tax and mounting restrictions from the Canadian government that kept families apart, it's surreal to think of how similar practices in the United States in 1882 played a role in influencing Canada to pass the same act in 1923. Being the sole ethnic group prohibited from immigrating to Canada for 24 years, I'm grateful that this story is being told to remind readers of Humiliation Day.

Beyond these dates and details, the heart of this book is that no matter what is happening in the world, what matters most is that we can find ultimate peace and reconciliation with God. Despite government systems and policies attempting to erase identity and culture, Zenith of Tea gently and firmly reminds us that our identity in Christ can never be taken away. Joseph and Mijen—while having vastly different backgrounds and upbringings—both represent how lost we are without God and His loving presence. It's such a testament to R.F. Whong (Ruth Wuwong) that she powerfully captures vivid emotions alongside in-depth expositions around worldviews and religious beliefs. The spiritual content is top-notch, with the Gospel conveyed in a patient and comprehensive manner. Any reader who is interested in how the Christian faith can thoroughly enter into diverse cultures will benefit from learning more about this bleak period of time in Canadian history.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...