Skip to main content

Review: The Class She Skips - A Healing Kind of Love #2

The Class She Skips book cover on blue background

Ella Marie is a newer-to-me author whose Christian faith in her recent books is clear, well written, and thoughtfully expressed. The Class She Skips is the second book in her A Healing Kind of Love series, which explores how the healing we receive from Jesus can be carried into the relationships we have with others.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: stretches that may be construed as originating from yoga, though the author has confirmed that yoga is not meant to be promoted and has carefully constructed the scene to omit references to it

Book Synopsis

Enzo’s life is carefully constructed—any time not spent working is devoted to his daughter, teaching her what it means to live as a true Christian. So when he accepts a temporary teaching position at his old college, he doesn’t expect to run into the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen—again. Charlie, the coffee shop culprit who taught him never to forget a lid, is now his student.

Falling for her isn’t just wrong; it goes against the second chance he’s been given. Unable to ignore the growing feelings he can’t afford to act on, he builds wall after wall to keep her out of reach.

Charlie’s days are a tightrope walk between assignments and financial struggles, with her faith getting the short end of the stick. The only sure things in her life are her best friends and the ever-growing stack of books she needs to read.

When she discovers her new Intro to Biology professor is the mysterious man she once collided with—and never expected to see again—it’s too late. She’s already falling for Enzo and his daughter, and she’s not sure she can—or wants to—hold back.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I really enjoyed the opportunity to continue reading Pearl and Zane's story from The Game She Hates. Paired with Robyn, a roommate who calls it like it is but in a Christ-honouring way, these strong Christian friends help Charlie as she learns from her mistakes and grows in her faith. Though I initially wondered how the professor-student status would affect the main characters in this book, the author makes it very clear that Charlie and Enzo are aware of the dangers and ethical implications that lie in this power dynamic. The book draws out the waiting period before Enzo is no longer Charlie's professor, so if you don't mind a slow burn, this book definitely ratchets up the tension. Getting to meet Enzo’s sweet daughter who has a penchant for getting away with a lot of creative pleas through her charm and love for reading will make you smile as you see Enzo and Charlie falling more and more for each other.

The Class She Skips personifies the forbidden romance trope very well in the sense that I was quite stressed out while reading the book. This is more a reflection on me where I was worried that something could happen that would awaken love before its time (Song of Songs 2:7). Thankfully, Ella Marie does a great job of using this theme to convey some wonderful Christian truths, such as not rushing God's timetable and not finding solace in relationships instead of Him. If you’re like me, this book will definitely have you on pins and needles as Enzo and Charlie interact with each other, where I wanted to know what happened next but I was also a bundle of nerves along the way. If forbidden love is a favourite trope for you, there are a lot of great lessons that the characters go through in their romantic and spiritual journeys as they learn to depend on God's sovereignty.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...