Skip to main content

Review: The Game She Hates

The Game She Hates book cover on blue background

Ella Marie is a new-to-me author, so I appreciated the opportunity to read The Game She Hates, which adds to my little Christian hockey romance collection. I would say this book is a great choice for the Clearly Christian Readathon!

I am grateful to the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Zane has had his fair share of a tumultuous childhood, and on the ice as the center of the Glaciers, he releases pent-up anger and frustrations from the relentless blows life has dealt him.

Off the ice, he avoids his teammates and dismisses anyone who tries to show him affection, especially women who are only drawn to his fame. But everything changes when he meets Pearl. Instantly captivated, he sets aside all his reservations and pursues her relentlessly, despite her clear rejections and disdain for hockey.

Pearl desperately wants marriage, commitment, and a man who shares her faith—definitely not a handsome, charming athlete like Zane who doesn’t believe in God and has women all over town swooning over him.

She is done using dating as a mission to convert guys to Christ, only to end up hurt.

As Zane persists in trying to maintain a 'just friends' relationship with her, he begins to question whether healing and grace can be his portion too?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book because of how in-depth it got in terms of the emotional and spiritual development of Zane and Pearl. It's easy to see why this is the author's favourite couple as they are both winsome characters who are going through tough issues while trying to understand the role of God in their lives. I appreciate that both characters want to do what is right for the other person, even when their hearts might not feel like it at the time. Instead of giving in and compromising on their beliefs, I thought it was helpful to see Zane and Pearl both work on themselves instead of just jumping into a relationship together. Pearl's work as a therapist brought a level of maturity to the story, and it was endearing to see her grow over time as well.

This book is faith-filled and points to Jesus' love and redemption. Pearl's prayers are vulnerable yet striking, and I found myself relating to some of her concerns and fears. At the same time, Zane is a bold character, and seeing him heal from past wounds is most gratifying. It's wonderful to have Ella Marie's voice in the Christian fiction world as she offers both tenderness and conviction in a compelling manner. This was a gentle story that imparted some powerful truths alongside a sweet romance. Readers who enjoy hockey romances will cheer Zane and Pearl on in this heartwarming book that honours its characters who in turn strive to honour God.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: πŸ“±
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: πŸ‘

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for writing this beautiful review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this book πŸ™πŸ½♥️ Thanks for sharing and recommending too 🫢🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure! I truly enjoyed getting to know your characters and their lovely story :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Palate Cleansers

Partially inspired by summer and partially because I like eating, I was thinking about the role of palate cleansers between courses of food, notably sorbet. I really enjoy the reset that the palate cleansers provide, allowing for a richer sense of taste to come with the next dish. In terms of reading, I admit that I have had a lot of ARCs to read this year. I've read close to 30 ARCs so far and have another 20 or so to go. I'm by no means complaining as I really enjoy reading; however, I can attest to a bit of fatigue from trying to get in as much reading as possible to meet release deadlines. It doesn't quite feel like work yet, but I will admit that when the ARCs are back-to-back, it can be a little hard to continually be motivated. As a result, I've been looking forward to setting aside a month to take a break from ARC commitments and to just enjoy whatever titles come my way and to make more of a dent in my TBR pile. While I will continue to try to meet a few upcomi

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of: scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Review: Borrowed Sunshine - Hilton Head Island #2

I got to read Borrowed Sunshine before Christmas, and it has lingered in my mind ever since then as an excellent Christian book that points to Jesus Christ. For anyone seeking a book where God is clearly referenced and He guides the story, the Hilton Head Island series has become one of my favourites. For full disclosure, I was a beta reader for this book; however, all opinions are my own and were formed upon my initial reading. Book Synopsis I've always wanted people to like me… I craved their approval... Now, I am tangled in a mess, with no idea how to escape… Everything feels better at the beach... So, I steal away for a two-week vacation on Hilton Head Island… Except... he is here. I've always wanted to be alone… I've seen firsthand how cruelly life can snatch away those you love… I would rather stay alone than endure another loss… My plan is simple: Stay single and avoid making new friends… My plan was perfect… Except... she is here. Source:  Amazon Book Thoughts Base