Skip to main content

Review: The Quiet Resistance

The Quiet Resistance book cover on blue background

In the desire to slow down, I've been looking for books that aren't too daunting to implement or too self-focused without an outward expression that focuses on others. As a result, I'm grateful that I've come across The Quiet Resistance by Andrea G. Burke, a book that allows me to adopt manageable actions while having an external posture.

Many thanks to Baker Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

An invitation to the fullness of a slower, simpler life

  • Discover how to turn off the noise and pay attention
  • Learn to resist the pace of our empty, consumer-driven culture
  • Experience striking beauty, true friendship, tangible quiet, and deep contentment

In myriad ways and from every angle, this world calls us to move faster, work harder, digitize, monetize, and turn our lives into 15-second clips to get clicks, likes, and shares. In the meantime, we are missing the good things in life that are actually worth sharing. The joy of unhurried time spent outside. The camaraderie of knowing our neighbors. The fellowship of eating a simple homecooked meal with our families. God's goodness and truth wait patiently for us to turn off the noise and begin to pay attention.

This thoughtful yet eminently practical book is a compassionate guide to a slower, fuller, and more intentional life characterized by striking beauty, true friendship, tangible quiet, and deep contentment. Poetic, earnest, and full of hope, The Quiet Resistance gently leads us to discover the everyday miracles of being human, enjoying creation, and loving the people around us well.

Our greatest act of holy rebellion is resisting the frenetic pace and skewed priorities of our empty, consumer-driven culture. Why shouldn't this quiet revolution start with you?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

There is a lot to chew on in this book about taking a step back from a frenetic life and world. If acts of resistance can also be classified as being counter-cultural, the author provides Christians with many practical examples that reflect godly living as opposed to worldly living. While not all of these steps may be possible to implement, there is value in the long-lasting truths and generational wisdom that have proven their worth over time. Most of these exhortations aren't new, mirroring some of the advice that Paul offers in 1 Thessalonians 4:11 to lead a quiet life, mind our own business, and work with our hands; however, it's refreshing to see this information laid out in a clear fashion, serving as reminders for when we lose our focus.

Resisting can also boil down to prioritizing what's important, which is usually easier to read about than to execute. Thankfully, the accompanying stories—ranging from being light-hearted to quite serious—provide a tangible backdrop in which to absorb these simple acts. It's a book that will hold great appeal to those wanting to implement small changes over time rather than anything large or dramatic. Readers wanting to stop and catch a breath from their hectic activities and obligations will find The Quiet Resistance to be an aspirational read that offers inspiration and hope without feeling burdened by any additional tasks.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

I’ve chosen boundaries with some family members for the sake of my own family’s peace. Family is not always the safest place. Blood isn’t stronger than sin, and sin is apt to destroy any close bonds if it’s not handled. This is why I’d argue that one way we can resist the disintegration of family is to strive to build a family within the body of Christ. This isn’t to say we don’t practice forgiveness toward those in our families of origin who have hurt us. But being related by blood isn’t a free pass for an all-access relationship.

For singles, widows, orphans, and anyone else who might not feel like they have a place in any traditional family, finding our people in the body of Christ is a rich and deep invitation Jesus provides for us. The language of family fills the New Testament . It’s not wrong for us to long for family; it’s not wrong to find that family in Christ. Your family of Christ might look very different from those who share your DNA. Some of these people will be your “actual” family. But some will be your friends who come for dinner every week and the people you worship with at church, the people with whom you have a bond that is far stronger than blood or genes—the unity of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...