Skip to main content

Review: When Strivings Cease

When Strivings Cease book cover on blue background

I'm thankful that I was able to read this book during a time when being sick forced me to slow down and realize that I couldn't do much, even if I tried.

As a result, When Strivings Cease by Ruth Chou Simons is the perfect reminder that no matter what season of life I am in, whether it's one full of vigour and energy or one that is depleted where I'm barely hanging on, I can cease striving and rest in the work that Christ has already completed for us.

Content to be aware of: mention of the Enneagram, self-forgiveness

Book Synopsis

Find true freedom and peace for your soul when you discover that God's grace secures what striving never could.

In this hustling, image-forward age of opportunity, we feel more anxious than ever. Despite all the affirming memes and self-reflections that dominate social media feeds, approval and worth often seem assigned to what we do rather than who we are. And we end up constantly feeling like we're behind, lacking, and failing—at home, at work, with friends, with God.

Ruth Chou Simons knows something about feeling measured by achievement, performance, and the approval of others. As a Taiwanese immigrant growing up between two cultures, Ruth was always on a mission to prove her worth, until she came to truly understand the one thing that changes everything: the extravagant, undeserved gift of grace from a merciful God.

In When Strivings Cease, Ruth guides you on a journey to find freedom from the never-ending quest for self-improvement. She shows you how to:

  • Confront the ways you look to superficial means of acceptance and belonging
  • Find relief in realizing self-help isn't the answer because you can't be so amazing that you won't need grace
  • Stop seeing God as someone to perform for and start finding delight in responding to his welcome
  • Let go of trying to rely on your own strength, your own abilities, and your own savvy by truly understanding the freedom Jesus purchased for you

With personal stories, biblical insights, practical applications, and touches of original artwork by Ruth, When Strivings Cease will help you see the beautiful truth that God's grace is the only thing you need—because in Christ you are enough.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

It is such a blessing to read a book from an Asian-American perspective that touches on many cultural practices and teachings I am familiar with and continue to struggle with in my Christian walk. In highlighting how expectations around performance and the quest for approval can pervade our lives, this book hits the hammer on the head when it discusses how easy it is to fall into patterns of striving as our ingrained operating system. It's a comfort to know I am not alone while I am also convicted that God's ways are far better than mine can ever be and that I can never strive enough.

Terming it the gospel of self-improvement, this vicious trap provides an unending illusion that we can be self-sufficient while spurning the notion of rest, worship, and reliance on God. Instead, we are to look to Christ and accept His gift of grace as we are transformed more and more into His created being by His doing. With beautiful artwork sprinkled throughout the book, it's an opportunity to slow down and receive God's presence and love. Readers wanting to quiet their hearts before Jesus will find simple yet life-changing truths to reflect on in When Strivings Cease.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...