Skip to main content

Review: Broken Algorithms - Coming Home #1

Broken Algorithms book cover on blue background

It's always a pleasure to discover a new-to-me Canadian Christian author, and even more exciting when getting to encounter several cultures as I did in Broken Algorithms by Gloriaea. This new adult book is an interesting foray into the criminal justice system that tackles difficult topics while providing hope along the journey.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: criminal activities, kidnapping of children

Book Synopsis

All she wanted was a home…

Brit has moved from one prison to another since she was eight. Now she’s free and nothing will stop her from getting back her family. Nothing…except the people who tore her life apart.

She didn’t need his help. So why was he everywhere?

Sam finally has his life on track. Working for the Canadian federal police is miles away from his teenage rebellion. Nothing could prepare him for the petite ex-convict with magnetic coffee eyes.

The clock is ticking for Brit’s family reunion and shadowy figures haunt her steps. Will Brit discover the true meaning of home? Or will she lose the family she has sacrificed everything to save?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I am grateful that I was able to read the first book in the Coming Home series by Gloriaea. Infused with Nigerian and Vietnamese culture, food, and hospitality, I appreciate just how welcoming and faith-filled Sam Pham's family comes across, especially as we get to know him and Auntie Tina. They are the epitome of Christian love in action as they care for Brit Eze after she leaves the criminal justice system, taking her in and helping her reintegrate into life. Along the way, there is a fast-paced plot involving children and cybercriminals, which Sam and Brit are caught up in and must help solve.

Set in a Canadian context, this Christian romantic suspense keeps readers on their toes in a cat and mouse chase as Sam and Brit attempt to stay one step ahead of their pursuers. Seeing the characters lean on God and pray for strength and wisdom makes them relatable and easy to be invested in. It's also a book where Sam and Brit act with prudence due to the positive influences that they have through his parents and colleagues, keeping them in check while navigating a potentially complicated relationship. If you enjoy reading about younger adults making their way in the world and using their gifts to help others while surrounded by a Christian community, Broken Algorithms is a great way to discover what it means for God to place us in a family.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...