Skip to main content

Review: Under the Mistletoe - Small Town Shenanigans #2

Under the Mistletoe book cover on blue background

The Small Town Shenanigans series continues with a heartwarming and hilarious Christmas book! Under the Mistletoe by Penny Zeller is a cozy and fun book that involves a touch of mystery and a whole lot of chuckles, starring an introvert who does not want to be part of the Christmas action but finds himself there anyways 🤣

Many thanks to Maplebrook Publishing and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

He's a nerdy tourist needing a vacation.

She's a bed and breakfast employee with a broken heart.

Love is the last thing they expect to find this Christmas.

Introvert Braxton Wertz needs a vacation, but his trip to the small town of Cloverdale Falls is anything but restful when he finds himself not only falling for the sweet and bubbly Gracely, but also in the crosshairs of geriatric private investigators...and their numerous shenanigans.

Recovering from a painful breakup, extrovert Gracely Eklund needs a vacation. Where better to spend her Christmas than her aunt and uncle's charming bed and breakfast? Her time managing the business comes with a few surprises, one of those being the nerdy and lovable Braxton.

He's from Florida. She's from the Rocky Mountain West. Can Christmastime, an incomplete photo album, and a quirky town with its equally quirky residents bring two unsuspecting hearts together?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Penny Zeller is masterful at writing small towns with heart, humour, and grace. In this case, we get to meet Gracely Ecklund, a kind young woman filling in for her aunt and uncle's bed and breakfast. It's the perfect setup for her to meet Braxton Wertz, who is her opposite in every way. As a result, these two characters learn what it means to serve one another and to look out for the other's best interests. Through Grace and Braxton's godly behaviour, it's evident just how much heart is infused into their story, especially when handling past relationship trauma.

In terms of the humour, when septuagenarians Maeve and Beulah are back at it again with their private investigation business, readers can’t help but smile at what ensues. I love that the Small Town Shenanigans series extend beyond initial miscommunications and hilarious assumptions. The characters are able to maturely approach matters and clear up any lingering questions, leading to forgiveness and genuine friendships. It's easy to see just how much everyone in Cloverdale Falls loves each other, making it a series that is easy to return to. If you are looking for a Christmas story gently laced with grace upon realizing what true worth looks like in Christ, Under the Mistletoe is a lighthearted and joyful read.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...