Skip to main content

Review: Taking a Second Shot

Taking a Second Shot book cover on blue background

This is the second book that I chose for the HQN Shameless Romantics Library Reading Challenge this month and it's exciting to read a book from an author debuting with Harlequin Books!

Taking a Second Shot by Leslie DeVooght is an insightful look into the world of a professional soccer player. I also love the double entendre of the title and how it applies to the characters, especially with the book featuring two athletes as they navigate their particular sports and their lives.

Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: mentions of yoga

Book Synopsis

Can he convince her that he’s playing for keeps?

Struggling professional soccer player Rainey Allen has come to her grandparents’ small town in Georgia to train—certainly not to coach kids. But when a grief-stricken little boy gets excited about playing with her, she can’t refuse. Even if his uncle is Scott Wilcox, the source of Rainey’s worst preteen memory. Once on track to be a professional athlete himself, Scott is grappling with his new life as the high school baseball coach and guardian of his orphaned nephew. But as playing soccer puts the light back in Henry’s eyes, old wounds begin to heal. When Rainey gets her big break, will she give up on her dreams…or leave behind the family who stole her heart?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What an interesting glimpse into the world of professional women's soccer! I appreciated learning more about this sport, along with the rigours and demands of what would be expected to perform well as an athlete. At the same time, it was lovely getting to know a former baseball player and his nephew as they navigated grief and loss together. It was also touching that years after a failed experience with one another in school, Rainey and Scott were able to move beyond their past and forge a friendship that could help them serve the athletic needs of their community, along with Scott's nephew, Henry.

While the timing hasn't been quite right for Rainey and Scott, it’s clear that they both had a heart for serving others and in placing other's needs above their own. Their selflessness and willingness to step up to God's call on their lives made them endearing characters. While Rainey would definitely be an aspiration to look up to in terms of her athletic and culinary prowess, her vulnerability also made her relatable. If you enjoy stories about athletes and what it means to surrender your dreams to God, Taking a Second Shot shows that there is always another opportunity if we are willing to take it.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...