Skip to main content

Review: The Christmas Playbook

The Christmas Playbook book cover on blue background

This is the first book that I chose for the HQN Shameless Romantics Library Reading Challenge this month. Not only is the challenge new to me, but the author is as well! The Christmas Playbook by Lisa Carter is a great way to continue my Christmas reading while introducing me to American high school football, which I also have very little knowledge of. Combined with a pastry chef, this story will transport you to a small town bakery that'll make you want to pair this book with a tasty treat.

Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

When the goal is love

it’s time to break the rules…

When her football coach father has a sudden heart attack, Maddie Lovett finds help from an unlikely source: her high school crush, Tanner Price. Back in town to care for his mother, former star athlete Tanner agrees to step in temporarily. As he leads the team to the state championships, Maddie’s support helps him see her as more than just the coach’s daughter. But when a family crisis occurs, Tanner knows his time in Truelove is limited. With his Christmas departure quickly approaching, can Maddie convince him to stay...for more than just football?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

How do you love and help a family member who is struggling with a debilitating condition? That's one of the questions that this book seeks to address. With Tanner Price coming home for a brief stint around Christmas after working on the oil rigs, he struggles to do what's best as he faces the worst from his family. At the same time, he's not alone as he leans on the residents of his small town to provide support while stepping in to take care of another community member. As he deals with some harsh realities, Maddie Lovett is there to ease his burdens and provide much-needed sunshine in his life. After meeting her, I have to say that she is probably a character I would want to meet in real life as she has such a servant heart and kind demeanor.

I love that amid the football in this book, it's more a story about how to restore what has been broken. It's broken people trying to point others toward the God who can fix lives, hearts, and relationships. It's seeing the potential that is within people and leading them toward a future that can be brighter than what they've faced. I truly enjoyed the impact that Tanner and Maddie made on others, just by being who they were in Christ. If you're looking for a heartwarming Christmas story about renewed relationships and fresh beginnings, The Christmas Playbook is a hopeful foray into how God can make all things new in His timing.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...