Skip to main content

Review: A Heart to Treasure - Searching Hearts #1

A Heart to Treasure book cover on blue background

There can be a genteelness to Regency books that allows for reflection while reading about the hardships that people faced during this time in history. A Heart to Treasure by Dienece Darling probes both the heart and the mind, allowing readers to be immersed in an era where trust in God is required when circumstances appear bleak.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

The vicar’s son and the draper’s daughter have fought against all odds to be together, but a storm is coming. One that will shatter everything.

Life hasn’t been easy for Obadiah Howard, especially after that misstep at Oxford which nearly obliterated his chances of joining the church. Added to that, he fell in love with the draper’s daughter. But a miracle revived his dreams of having a curacy and his strict father allowed his betrothal to Miss Hill. Only, what if there was no miracle? What if all of Obadiah’s bright future is built on a lie?

Eliza Hill never expected a gentleman to pay her court, let alone ask for her hand in marriage. With their wedding day less than a fortnight away, life is an impossible dream come true. Although, it would be nice if Obadiah called her Eliza instead of the more genteel Elisabeth, and she finds the rigors of acting like a perfect lady stifling. But, surely, being married to the man she loves will be worth wearing a mask for the rest of her life.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This is a gentle yet soul-stirring Regency book that wades into the depths of our sin while providing glimpses of hope and forgiveness. Obadiah and Eliza are young and discovering what it means to follow God instead of their hearts, and the result is a beautiful story about God's will. It's a shorter book that you can't help but feel invested in as the storytelling is rich and the truths are powerful.

I appreciate that the Obadiah and Eliza have much to grow in as they solidify their faith and character through difficult circumstances. The result is an incisive look at how pride and anger can separate us from loved ones, which Dienece Darling writes so vividly, taking us on a roller coaster of emotions. If you're looking for a story that can tug at your heart while expounding biblical teachings in a natural yet convicting manner, A Heart to Treasure reveals how God can refine us for His glory.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...