Skip to main content

Review: The Glass Bottom Boat - Flight to Freedom #1

The Glass Bottom Boat book cover on blue background

I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to dive into a new-to-me series right after getting to meet its author! The Glass Bottom Boat by Laura Thomas introduces us to the Flight to Freedom series and I'm excited for the upcoming books to be released (hint: books #4 - The Christmas Cabin and #5 - Snow Globe Secrets are already out as they're Christmas-themed!).

Book Synopsis

Her worst nightmare lies in the depths below...

Surrounded by the romantic paradise of her sister’s destination wedding in Jamaica, Madison Grey realizes she must overcome her paralyzing fear of the ocean—and her broken heart—to start living again.

Luke Alexander, the groom’s brother, is a missionary who has come to terms with a life of singleness—until he meets Madison.

During the wedding, their personal connection intensifies when a stalker stirs up haunting memories of her gold-digging ex-fiancé. After Madison mysteriously disappears and the newlyweds receive a ransom note, Luke dives into action to find her. Will he save Madison in time or will she be forced to suffer her worst nightmare… in the depths of a glass bottom boat?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The first book in the Flight to Freedom series will have you glued to the pages as you learn more about who is stalking Madison Grey and why she needs to keep looking over her shoulder. Coupled with Madison's sister's destination wedding and a mysterious glass bottom boat, you'll feel as if you're whisked away while getting to the bottom of this romantic suspense. I absolutely love that this book highlights Luke Alexander as a missionary and that the story emphasizes prayer at every turn.

The Glass Bottom Boat is an engrossing story that makes me reevaluate the place that fears can have on my life, especially when they may keep me from experiencing all that God has in store for me. Seeing the main characters work through their own worries, it provides a glimpse into what it means to trust in God instead of being concerned about the things of this world. If you're looking for a suspense that will keep you on edge while drawing closer to God through ongoing prayer, this book is a reminder that faith can overcome fear.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...