Skip to main content

Review: Someone to Watch Over Me - Laurel Ridge #2

Someone to Watch Over Me book cover on blue background

Laurel Ridge is a special mountain town offering refuge and community, and it's delightful to return there with Someone to Watch Over Me by Lesa Henderson following Someone to Trust. This romantic suspense introduces a number of twists and turns that kept me flying through the pages!

Book Synopsis

After witnessing a violent crime, Catlin (Kit) McCormick is on the run. She’s determined to lie low, find family that’s unaware of her existence, and start fresh in the beautiful mountain town of Laurel Ridge. But disappearing is harder than she thought, especially when one of the first people she runs into is handsome U.S. Marshal, Cameron Grainger. There's no escaping the Marshal because he and Catlin are more closely connected than either realizes.

Cameron has trust issues and trouble of his own. He’s currently on leave and recovering from wounds suffered while on duty. Plus, his service in Afghanistan has left him emotionally scarred and doubting his own judgement. When the mysterious woman with hazel eyes and bruises on her neck collapses on the floor of his aunt's bed-and-breakfast, he's both intrigued and wary.

Will Catlin risk her identity being discovered and explore the overwhelming feelings she has for Cameron? Can Cameron trust his instincts enough to let down his guard and follow his heart?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to read Someone to Trust first as it made the journey back to Laurel Ridge even more anticipated with this book. Catlin and Cameron's story builds on Megan and Lee's story from the previous book, with wonderful connections that had me engrossed in the series. I loved seeing the transformation in Catlin from a woman who mistrusts everyone to a woman who flourishes and grows into her own authentic self by the end of the book. I also enjoyed meeting Cameron and seeing him use his gifts and connections to help a virtual stranger out.

The suspense in this book kept me from putting it down, leading me down a few trails in trying to figure out who was after who. Additionally, the author does a masterful job in answering the questions around how God can still turn evil into good, and how suffering can lead to perseverance and compassion. This series really brings readers full circle in terms of how redemption and restoration are explored. If you're looking for a romantic suspense that draws heavily on how God can bring about peace and healing after experiencing family pain and disappointment, Someone to Watch Over Me is a reminder that we are not alone.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...