Skip to main content

Review: The Shortcut - Cedar River #1

The Shortcut book cover on blue background

I'm grateful that I was able to start this series off with The Return Home novella as it set the stage for The Shortcut by Honey Stone. Anyone who is a fan of small town romances will appreciate this series set in Australia, especially with such bright and colourful book covers that reflect the same hopeful content within the books!

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Rosemary doesn't belong anywhere. Could God be about to change that? 

Only God knows Rosemary Forrester's secret, unspoken longing – to find a place to belong. Fired and harassed by her former employer, the nomadic medical writer flees Sydney to find her next adventure, but ends up stranded in the small country town of Cedar River.

As Rosemary connects with Elsie, a retired maths teacher with a love for soap operas, and Daniel, a software engineer with an awkward charm, for the first time in her life she dares to imagine a future filled with friendship, love, and belonging.

But a jealous local, her mother's expectations, and threats from her past throw that future into jeopardy. Will she trust in the Lord to work all things together for her good, or let fear drive her away from the town that feels like home?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I really enjoyed getting to meet Rosemary, a medical writer seeking a new adventure in her life. Moving on from a threatening past, she ends up stranded in the town of Cedar River and befriends some quirky individuals in the community. Along the way, she ends up encountering Daniel, a software engineer with a grumpy exterior who proves that there's more to him than meets the eye. I liked that this book reveals how the detours in life can often be the very places that God is putting us, and for good reason. As a result, nothing is left to coincidence, with Rosemary recognizing more and more that she truly is in God's hands.

The Shortcut delves into more serious topics, including stalking and harassment, but it also highlights the power of a community that cares for one another. Most notably, it's wonderful to see God at work through Elsie, a feisty senior who doesn't take no for an answer when she's determined to see things through. I appreciate that this book introduces us to the world of software engineering from a medical perspective and that we get to see an ethical dilemma played out. If you like small town romances with earnest characters who love the Lord, you'll appreciate this sweet series set in Australia.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...