Skip to main content

Not Much Left


I recently heard a sermon at church that left me pondering what my time on earth could look like, especially after I am no longer here. One of the phrases that was used that made the strongest impression on me was "not much left" and it was in the context of a family member who had passed away and didn't have many material goods to disperse to their descendants. What impacted me most was that this family member was so invested in the lives of other people for eternity's sake that what remained was just the bare essentials and some good books that could be passed on.

Ever since I heard these three little words, I've been thinking about what I want to leave behind. The idea of there not much being left seems like such a gift rather than having lots of material possessions that others have to organize and make decisions on. I touched on this thought a little earlier on when I wrote about how finding books is like going on a treasure hunt, but since that time, I've further reflected on how I want to have a lifestyle where I can pass on Christian books instead of hoarding them, particularly ones that will enrich other believers' thinking.

While having a library is a treasure of its own, I don't know that I want to have so many books on hand that I may or may not reference again in the long run. As a result, I've been more proactive about either donating or gifting books depending on their quality, and although the pace that I bring in books still exceeds the amount of books exiting my possession, I aim to make this a goal for myself this year where I can give books a new home.

I don't want to saddle anyone down with an out-of-control library, so I'm hoping that I can be more mindful in what I accumulate while being generous towards others with them. I'm quite excited about the prospect of whittling down my TBR books in order to joyfully pass them along; this is likely the greatest incentive I have in going through the books on my shelves. It'll definitely take me some time, but one of the things I'm changing about how I read this year is to focus more on the backlist titles I've collected so that I'm not just storing them. Part of the stewardship I wish to undertake is to responsibly use what God has given me, and I'm so grateful that I get to be in this position in the first place.

I suppose this is similar to the concept of "die with zero" but my motivation is much more spiritual than purely financial. I also want to take the following verses to heart because the treasure is not just bound up in pages and spines; it's bound up in Who the words on the pages point toward. What a thrilling prospect ahead for me this year!

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:19-21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...