Skip to main content

Treasure Hunt

stacks of books on top of each other in used bookstore with background books blurred

I'm thankful that I recently had the opportunity to visit a number of Christian and secular bookstores that sell new and used books in all the possible combinations you can find. Though I'm especially fond of stores that sell used Christian books, I'm also delighted to pick up new Christian books at bargain prices.

While I've been intentional in not wanting to promote a lifestyle of consumption on my blog or on social media, I do confess that there is an element of treasure hunting for me when I go shopping for books. I've had to become adept at scanning bookshelves quite fast as I've gotten into having my husband time me to prove that I don't spend that much time in bookstores 😆 I can very easily spot a Christian book in the wild, so to speak!

This fun challenge aside, I do value finding books that point toward God, both in fiction and non-fiction genres. However, one of the things that hit me most this time is that I can have too much of a good thing. Although I've officially run out of bookshelf space and am now stacking the books horizontally onto open surfaces, I don't want to live this way. I want to discover the treasure but also to spread it.

Even if I won't necessarily give up the hunt just yet as I'm still tracking down several hard-to-find books, it's a reminder to me that hoarding all of this treasure can be just as meaningless as its pursuit. Some of my goals are to donate non-fiction titles to my church and to gift fictional series to anyone local. I do wish that it wasn't so expensive to ship books as I'd love to share my books this way!

Since I've previously worked in libraries and bookstores, I've been able to take meticulous care of my books, so I hope to one day pass the treasure along. While I don't think I'll tire of searching for Christian books at home and during my travels, the treasure is in seeing others enjoy a new book. If anyone wants to find out if they're local to me in Canada, feel free to send me an email at christianshelves (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll see if it's feasible for me to send anything down the road 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Shopping from Home

One of the things I've appreciated about being more picky with my reading is that I have a little bit more self-control in purchasing books now. I'll admit that up until most recently, I was pretty indiscriminate in purchasing Christian books simply by virtue of it being Christian, even if I had never heard of the author before or had only seen a picture of the book online. However, in the past few months, I've enjoyed getting to exercise more discernment in what books I choose to pick up. This has resulted in an unofficial book buying ban without me fully realizing it at the time. While there were a few books that I picked up a few weeks before Christmas, I've largely gone without getting additional books since then. Part of this is because I can wait a long time for sales to appear! The other part is that I'm trying to pick better books for my home library knowing how many books I might have to part ways with over time. This had me thinking about which books I wou...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...