Skip to main content

Review: The Intrepid Three - Animus Revealed

The Intrepid Three: Animus Revealed book cover on blue background

I confess that I really enjoy YA fiction, which is funny because when I was a young adult, I think I ended up reading a lot more adult titles. Whether this was due to fewer YA titles being written at the time or less awareness of them, I'm certainly glad that I can make up for lost time now! Now that I've been exposed to so many great titles, including The Intrepid Three: Animus Revealed by Brianna and Matthew Penfold, I wish I got to read these books many years ago 😄

Many thanks to the authors for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Dez, Arabella, and Walter are seemingly ordinary teenagers from different worlds. Dez is a dejected coder living in Euporia under the oppressive conglomerate E-Corp. Arabella skates through life in an Aurelian aristocratic family. And Walter treads a typical path in the technology-obsessed society of Immerxia.

In a day's time, their lives are turned upside down when they meet Author, the writer of the universe, and discover they have gifts to heal the past, alter the present, and foresee the future. Author implores the three teens to restore their broken worlds. Complicating the kids' decision are supernatural forces working to end humanity and free a dark army from their prison known as Animus.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book lays the foundation for an epic battle to come through the three (and more!) worlds converging into one ultimate scene. I loved getting to know Dez, Arabella, and Walter as they each faced their own struggles while living in different facets of a societal woe, such as complacency, oppression, or distraction. This is one of the most lyrical books I've had the pleasure of reading where the number three is symbolized so well in themes such as the past, present, and future, and in how the Author creates, continues, and completes the work being done that I found myself looking for triplets all the way through. Even with all of the new concepts being introduced and a large cast of characters and their perspectives, I appreciated how the Author tied everything together.

The spiritual parallels are fascinating with nods to so many teachings in Christian theology that this book made me think even deeper about my own world as I encountered the settings of Euporia, Aurelia, Immerxia, and Animus. I appreciated seeing how the authors translated the creation story and the fall of humanity into a realm where the invisible is made visible. Readers who enjoy spiritual allegories will find much to mine in this book, especially as it sets the stage for the ultimate story to take place. This young adult series has me excited to see what is next for the Intrepid Three!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...