Skip to main content

Labouring Away

phone sitting beside book with glasses on top all resting on wooden table

On this Labour Day, I've been wondering if and when reading begins to feel like work. For the most part, reading is a very enjoyable activity for me, which is why I engage in it as often as I can. There are times, however, when I've noticed that reading can be a bit of a slog. Though I try not to dwell on it, this has been a helpful signal to me to be better about not completing books that fall into this category.

I don't have an extensive list, but here are a few things that can make reading a book begin to feel laboursome:
  • Too many typos. I feel like this is universal amongst all readers, so I'll leave it at that.
  • Too many complications. When so many characters get introduced or the plot lines are quite convoluted, this can make reading less pleasurable.
  • A lot of pop culture references. A few well-placed ones that enhance the story or make it relatable to the audience is fine; however, when I'm reading a book and it starts to feel like a tabloid magazine where I don't know most of the people who are named, it doesn't make the book as fun to read anymore.
  • Toeing the line too much. This might be less work-related and more stress-related, but there are times when I'm reading scenes that make me squirm on behalf of the characters. This is different from when books have grittier content and show the reality or consequences of sin versus books that seem to romanticize or glamourize actual cringiness or where it seems like the author is trying to get as close to the edge as possible.
  • Superfluous writing. This is straightforward and probably something I struggle in personally doing. I have to remind myself that only the Apostle Paul can get away with run-on sentences 😅
  • Bad formatting for digital files. I will say that this is likely the number one reason why it can take me forever to get through an ARC, especially if it's a PDF that requires zooming in on every single page when using a device, or a digital file where the the text is laid out in such a way that it can impede the flow of reading. Talk about a lot of work just to read!
  • Questionable claims without references. This more so applies to non-fiction books, but I do encounter a number of books that make declarative statements without citing other sources. After a while, the book can either veer toward ranting or being overly authoritative in what readers should think/say/do based on the author's opinions.
  • Making assumptions. When I feel like I have to work extra hard to fill in all the blanks, it makes me more prone to give up. If an author is assuming I know something and I don't, I just end up feeling lost.
I'm sure there are many more I could add to the list, but I'll keep it reasonably short. Thankfully, I don't encounter these obstacles too often, which means that reading is still largely leisurely for me. And when that's not the case, I'm feeling more empowered to walk away and find other books that are less work in reading 😀

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th

Wedding Scenes

I've had the pleasure of reading some lovely wedding scenes lately and it had me thinking about books that choose to include them. In noticing that a lot of the romances I read tend to end with either the couple finally confirming their relationship or possibly an engagement if there is an epilogue, I'm usually left wanting to know what the wedding will look like. If there happens to be any wedding scene, it may be from the perspective of a character in the next book in the series, such as a bridesmaid or family member as a segue into their own story. However, I've found that when I get to read fuller descriptions of a wedding from either the bride or the groom's point of view that it seems to make the book feel more complete. That's not to say that a wedding should always be included, especially if the timing doesn't make sense, but they are wonderful to read about. In terms of Christian weddings, I've always been curious as to how authors convey this. Some