Skip to main content

Spiritual Fruit

apple sitting on books against dark grey background

One of the things I've been more mindful about in reading Christian books is that I want these books to make a spiritual impact on my life, both in the short-term and the long-term. I'm aware that this isn't always possible, but there are three things I strive to remind myself of when selecting and reading a fiction or a non-fiction book which I share below.

Ultimately, I want my reading experience to have joy and meaning, leading to spiritual fruit being exhibited in me. Keeping these principles at the forefront not only avoids a little bit of a reading slump for me, but it helps me to approach things with an eternal view when I'm deciding whether to commit several hours of my life to a book or not.

Reading for Understanding

For fiction books, I enjoy having my perspective broadened and being able to step into others' shoes by better understanding others. With Christian books, this doesn't always have to mean that the main character is Christian as some of the most powerful books I've read have been about people who are grappling with who God is and uncovering profound truths about Him along the way. Primarily, I love reading fiction because it opens up a world to me that I was previously unexposed to before opening the book. Alongside the benefits of understanding others who are different than me, it can also increase empathy. If you're interested in a neat study on that, check out How Does Fiction Reading Influence Empathy? An Experimental Investigation on the Role of Emotional Transportation by P. Matthijs Bal and Martijn Veltkamp.

For non-fiction books, I obviously want to grow in my understanding of God. There was a time when I enjoyed reading introductory books as it gave me a quick exposure to different topics; however, I now hunger for more detail and depth. Books that try to cover everything end up not covering much at all, so this has been an additional learning for me in discerning what Christian books to read. The best Christian non-fiction books for me have been ones where there is a heavy emphasis on biblical and theological analysis, leading into more practical matters of application. To me, this has helped me to see the importance and origin of the teaching coupled with how it can make a difference in my life. If I can demonstrate more spiritual fruit as a result of what I now understand, I consider that to be a successful book.

Reading for Enrichment

For fiction books, I've largely covered this in my blog post on Christian versus clean books. I admit that a lot of clean books can be entertaining, but I'm at the point where I largely want to focus on Christian books that convey spiritual truths and point explicitly to Jesus. Thankfully, a lot of the books I've been reading since I started this blog have fit into this category and I've been so enriched by them. To me, enrichment means that this is something longer lasting than simply two characters falling in love. What is it that the characters are discovering in their walk with God? How can I take those lessons and see the gaps in my own life? Those are the questions I ask myself when I encounter well-written scenes about topics like forgiveness, healing, friendship, and so much more from a biblical perspective.

For non-fiction books, I've determined that there are a lot of books that promise great things, but if the practices are done in our own strength, the results (and efforts) can be futile. As such, I don't tend to read the self-help type of books that seem to be prevalent (no, I will not be washing my face). Since I'm pretty theologically conservative, I have also steered clear of prosperity gospel-type books, which can fall into this category as well. I find that books in this vein can be quite discouraging because the focus is on ourselves rather than on God. I don't find it enriching at all to go through books that cover things like personality tests or personal styles (here's a blunt take on enneagrams which I agree with from Biblical Christian Worldview). Furthermore, some books can take on a fatalistic view of the world, which is in contrast to the hope that we should have in Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:3). I realize a lot of these are negatives, but having these boundaries has meant that instead, I can be enriched by a lot of spiritual classics or books that clearly and articulately communicate the Gospel in a way that leads me to worship and revere God even more.

Reading for Change

For fiction books, this is where I hope that what I've read will translate into me being a more faithful follower of Jesus Christ. It is so inspiring to read stories of Christians who have overcome the trials of this world, who have recognized sin in their lives and have repented, and who are trying to relate to others in a godly manner. It doesn't always have to be a biography for me as some authors can weave God's truths into stories in such a compelling manner that it almost comes across as true. Truthfully, this is one of the reasons why Christian Books and Coffee, Devoted to Hope, and I have cared so much about bringing the Clearly Christian Readathon to life. Reading books shouldn't leave us in a static state. I believe that authors want more than indifference from their readers, which is why I'm so encouraged by all of the amazing Christian authors out there who are pointing to God in such fresh and creative ways.

For non-fiction books, I've realized that I can take on more than I can chew when it comes to excellent Christian resources and teachings, leading me to amass information without necessarily having an output for it. The picture I've always had in mind is that if I only have inputs in my life, I'll become a swamp where things go to die. Never is this more true than in continually collecting thoughts and ideas, but doing nothing with them. What I've been trying to be better about is to identify a tangible action that I can take after completing a Christian non-fiction book. Whether it's to pray about something further or to contact someone about a question that has come to mind, I want to see changes in my life as a result of learning more about God. In a way, this blog has served as an outlet for me, though I also want to exhibit fruit offline as well. If anything, I don't want to become a bloated Christian! I also hope that my love of Christian books does translate into being a blessing for others, however that looks. My goal isn't to be the smartest person in the room; it's to becoming a loving disciple of Jesus Christ.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th