Skip to main content

Review: Distant Stars

Distant Stars book cover on blue background

I have a soft spot for young adult books, so it was a treat to be able to read Distant Stars by Kassandra Garrison. I don't often read about kidnapping plots, which intrigued me as to how it would be handled in this book. To say that the unexpected took place in this book is an understatement!

I am grateful to the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: kidnapping and violence

Book Synopsis

Will Rutledge needs a fresh start. After aging out of the foster care system, he and his brother, Kane, have nothing but each other. Maybe that is why he agreed to his brother’s insane plan. With his brains and his brother’s muscle, what could go wrong?

Enter Hannah Cole. After a devastating loss, her faith in God is shaken. No amount of money could fill the hole in her life… not even if her dad has plenty of it. Suddenly, Hannah finds herself in the middle of the brothers’ reckless scheme.

Plans start to unravel when Will and Hannah develop feelings for one another despite their seemingly insurmountable differences. With Kane determined to finish the plan, the star-crossed lovers question God’s purpose and ask:

Are some stars just too far apart to collide?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This young adult novel offers a surprising and touching picture of redemption. It might not be for every reader as it does start off dark with depicted scenes of violence; however, the characters of Will and Hannah grew on me the more I read about their plight. Though their backgrounds could not be more different, it's interesting to see how they interact with each other, given that Will has committed a desperate criminal act. Physical appearances are initially prominent, but the content remains fairly clean for young adult readers on the romance side. All that being said, I found myself quite engaged in the plot to see how it would go and discovered a fresh look at second chances.

I appreciate that the characters are willing to accept responsibility and that there is a recognition of the power dynamics involved. The faith scenes are moving and bring an added layer to this story, making it easy to root for a happy ending after what starts out as tragic and traumatic. The way that things culminate provides an air of sweetness that points to God. Readers who are intrigued by the plot of kidnapping will find Distant Stars to be an interesting look at what it means for God to turn things around at pivotal moments in a young adult's life.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th