Skip to main content

Real-Life Effects


I remember a phase I was going through when I was using a computer mouse so often for school that I started to treat my remote control in the same manner by moving it around on the bed or couch, expecting it to respond to me. Of course, this led to brief moments of confusion, though I admit that this was not an isolated experience and occurred more often than it should have. Staying up late to write papers probably had ill effects on me!

Fast forward to today, I realize that being utterly immersed in one thing can have an effect on something else. This revealed itself in a discussion I had with my husband regarding my primary pet peeve with myself whenever I open my mouth. In explaining how it is I speak and why it bugs me so much, he was able to instantaneously identify why I do what I do (whilst inwardly, I'm thinking of Romans 7:15 - I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.).

His simple answer? My pet peeve is likely due to the fact that I'm a reader.

I don't know why I never saw this before, but the more I analyze his response, the more I realize that it's probably true.

What's my major pet peeve? I hate that whenever I relay a conversation, I end up quoting someone else in first person, usually with a preface, and then launching into whatever it is they say. It is entirely subconscious until I nearly always catch myself after I do what I tell myself to stop doing. In relaying this to my husband and the struggles I have in being able to just repeat someone else's sentiment in third person, he casually mentioned that I speak the way I read.

In fact, as I'm recounting this experience, my fingers are itching to type the following:

After a momentary beat, he matter-of-factly states, "It's because you talk the way books are written. You aren't just recounting someone else's experience. You're giving the listener a chance to hear the words directly."

Mind you, I'm not a fictional writer; however, my mind was blown after this. Instead of hating the way I end up talking (and likely sounding to others), it allowed me to see things in a different light. Perhaps being a reader and being so used to hearing someone's own voice has shaped the way I approach conversations. Though I still get annoyed by myself when I speak in other people's first person voices (how confusing is that?!), could it be that this is a reflection of enjoying how words are captured so much that my brain unintentionally performs the same act?

I'm still ruminating on this, but thought I'd share this funny anecdote as a reminder that the things we frequently do can often influence seemingly unrelated things elsewhere. Whether it's a remote control that my brain is convinced is a mouse or a dialogue where I end up sounding like a book, it's both humbling to think of how we are wired and a little sobering that if I end up doing something not so good, it could have a spillover effect to other parts of my life. This is all the more reason to guard my mind, heart, and life!

Though my frustrations with my speech aren't major and may just be a real-life (side) effect of reading, I'm very thankful that a few verses after Paul reflects on how difficult it is to do the good we want to do, he proclaims, "Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:25a).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th