Skip to main content

Review: Her Surprise Vacation Date - Unexpected Dates #1

Her Surprise Vacation Date book cover on blue background

This is a new series from Liwen Y. Ho that sounds like it will be full of the unexpected, including the first book titled Her Surprise Vacation Date.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

I was supposed to go on vacation with my best friend… not my best friend’s little brother.

It was going to be a fun girls-only trip to Solvang, CA… before it turned into me dressing up like the Michelin Man, getting a call from my bestie telling me that she’s too sick to come, and losing my luggage.

Now I’m at the airport waiting for my best friend’s little brother to pick me up. After all the unexpected twists and turns of this morning, you’d think nothing would surprise me, that is until nothing turns out to be a six-foot-tall hazel-eyed man with a beautiful smile.

Wow.

Shane Morgan’s grown up a lot since I last saw him in high school. A hunky EMT now, he’s still sweet and funny, but also a lot bolder and charming… to the point where I wonder if he might be flirting with me. But that can’t be possible, right? He’s just an old friend. An old friend who makes my knees go weak when he leans à la While You Were Sleeping and has me regretting ever going on a dating sabbatical.

Ugh.

How am I ever going to survive my surprise vacation date without falling for my best friend’s brother?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I love that in this book, Hope and Shane are able to reconnect after all these years, and discover a new side to each other after growing up. It's encouraging that Shane is upfront and clear in his communication, minimizing any potential misunderstandings. Instead, he is honest and truly trusts God to guide him in this relationship. Hope, on the other hand, is really struggling with her self-worth, which makes Shane's truthfulness even more endearing. I appreciate that he is willing to learn all about book tropes from Hope and that he is a good sport about it.

Even though their vacation together is quick, it builds on a lot of shared history. The two characters are largely respectful in how they interact with each other, and the light bouts of humour make the story even more fun to read. Though I'm not a fan of the one-bed trope, all of the other tropes, such as best friend’s brother and younger man, are done well. If you're looking for a light summer read that is filled with funny incidents, touches of Christian faith, and overall charm, Her Surprise Vacation Date is a breezy escape.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Congratulations on your upcoming release 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...