Skip to main content

Review: Second Chance with the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #14

Second Chance with the Hero book cover on blue background

I confess that one of the reasons I have been keen to get into the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series is because it contains three books by Liwen Y. Ho. What a delight to finally finish reading all of the books she has published so far! Second Chance with the Hero was a little bittersweet for that reason, as I now have to wait like everyone else for a new title after completing her backlist 😄

Book Synopsis

Two high school sweethearts. One broken marriage. And an unexpected reunion that offers the perfect opportunity for redemption.

Retired midwife Josephine Gilbert is all about her children and grandchildren these days. That’s why she’s moved back to Freedom to be close to her loved ones and to help with her daughter’s upcoming delivery. The last thing she expects is to fall ill and need emergency surgery. What’s worse, the person who offers to help with her recovery is none other than her ex-husband, the man who left her a single mom twenty years ago.

Jack Gilbert spent the last two decades working as a medic on an oil rig, a job that provided him with the financial security he himself never had but so desperately wanted to give his family. The only downfall of that decision was losing the only woman he’s ever loved. When given the chance to care for Josephine, he rushes back without a second thought. It may take a miracle though for him to convince her to accept his help.

With the support of their family, can this estranged couple let go of their past and give their love a second chance?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Liwen Y. Ho writes such lovely romances for older couples, and Jack and Josephine fit the bill perfectly. Theirs is a second chance romance that brings with it a deeper look at family, work, and, most importantly, faith. It's wonderful that we get to reunite with Jeremiah Gilbert's family from Love Pact with the Hero and learn more about what happened to his parents. I love that this book explores the theme of literal hunger and spiritual hunger and how only God can ensure that we never hunger again. This is especially poignant in Jack and Josephine's relationship and is a lesson that many can relate to in this book.

I continue to be grateful that the characters do everything they can to avoid unnecessary miscommunication with one another. Liwen writes mature dialogue that doesn't hold back from the truth while infusing it with her characteristic gentle nature. Second Chance with the Hero touches on what it means to find fulfillment in Christ with a beautiful love story that points to Him. Watching the “J” family go through their restoration is truly heartwarming.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

  1. Aww, the "J" family—I love that! :) Thanks so much for this thoughtful and heartwarming review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that all their names start with J! It was such a treat to read this book; I can't wait for more 😍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...