Skip to main content

Review: Romanced by the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #12

Romanced by the Hero book cover on blue background

I'm two-thirds of the way through the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series! It's not that I'm anxious to complete them, but more so that I want to enjoy as many stories about this wonderful town as I can. Liwen Y. Ho's dedication in Romanced by the Hero is perfect for this sentiment: "For everyone who wishes Freedom, Colorado was a real place."

Book Synopsis

Two broken hearts. One lonely Christmas. And a love dare that changes everything for two new friends.

As Head of Security at Freedom Lodge, MacGyver Spark is used to protecting people. Since losing his fiancée in a car accident, he’s gotten good at protecting his heart as well. Determined to focus on his health and recovery, he’s kept himself busy with work and AA meetings and also far, far away from the opposite sex. He was content with living the life of a bachelor, until his cousin asked him to play tour guide for a gorgeous female friend.

Romance book blogger Amy McCormick isn’t one to wallow in self-pity. Born blind, she’s always tackled challenges head-on and been grateful for both the peaks and valleys of life. Except for her current valley—getting dumped by her first love—that has her questioning her faith and the future. Escaping to Colorado for a snowy, guy-free Christmas sounded like a good plan, until Mac shows up and challenges all her beliefs about men.

When faced with their greatest fears, Mac and Amy must learn to lean on each other and discover if love can really save the day.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

For anyone who reads and shares about romance books online, this book will certainly resonate for you! Not only does the book live up to its title, there are numerous Easter eggs throughout the story that are nods to insider reader information. Everything from tropes to phrases like “all the feels,” it's hard not to smile when Amy talks about her life as a romance blogger. It's also amusing to see Mac catch on to the terminology and concepts as he steps into the leading man role. Romance aside, this book provides insights into what it's like to have a visual impairment, along with the struggles of someone in recovery. Grief, betrayal, and regrets are addressed in a sensitive manner while Mac and Amy learn what it means to place their trust in God.

Romanced by the Hero abounds with humourous banter along with a little mystery, making for an engaging read. Mac and Amy wrestle with different issues in a vulnerable way, which keeps this book grounded in reality. Their faith provides hope and ultimately, the opportunity to work toward a happy ending. If anyone has read the Spark Brothers series by Liwen Y. Ho, you will be delighted to know that there is a connection to this book. What a joy to see Amy get her own story after first meeting her in A Sudden Spark!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...