Skip to main content

Review: The Story of Your Home

The Story of Your Home book cover on blue background

Many thanks to Revell Books and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of The Story of Your Home by Courtney Warren for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

Create a space you'll love (that everyone can live with)

Your home is where you make memories, build relationships, and find sanctuary, so it should tell your story. Full of practical action items and bursting with unique and inspiring photos, The Story of Your Home is your guide to creating a space that reflects the personality and purpose of the people who live there.

With the help of interior designer Courtney Warren and her StyleSense Design Quiz, you'll start by determining the heart behind your home and the story you want to tell through it. She'll guide you through your house, one room at a time, providing tools to stretch you beyond mere aesthetics to the true essence of how you live and what you want your home to say--both to the people who live in it and those you invite in.

With Courtney's expert help, the inviting and comfortable home you long for is closer than you think.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The Story of Your Home is more of an invitation into a design story, so its approach is definitely conversational with plenty of pop culture references. While there are lovely pictures and useful tips interspersed throughout the book, there isn't anything necessarily new in its content. However, don't let that dissuade you as there are tangible ideas included that can help translate design visions into next steps.

To be honest, viewing this book more as a memoir and less of an instructional design guide resulted in a more engaging read. The chapters on celebrating story and the memories that come with them—as a result of special occasions or everyday life—make the whole book worth reading. If readers are looking for a book that can invite you in, just like into a home, Courtney Warren demonstrates that spirit of hospitality and sense of whimsy all at once.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...