Skip to main content

Review: The Persistent Road - Bicycle Adventures #1

The Persistent Road book cover on blue background

Inspired by a post I shared earlier this year regarding the ratio of male to female Christian authors, I was grateful that a male Christian author, Tim Bishop, reached out to me to see if I would be interested in reviewing his book called The Persistent Road. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to hear about this title as I wouldn't have come across it otherwise.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

There’s always an escape. Sometimes you need to search long and hard for the right one.

After losing all he once cherished, Doug Zimmer follows his wife’s parting bread crumbs and rides up the Pacific coast—on a bicycle. Armed with a revolver and only a vague plan to get through the months ahead, he aims to end his depression one way or the other.

As spiritual forces wrangle for his soul, he pedals eastward across America. He meets Lauren Baumgartner—a younger adventurer with a vibrant spirit—and a band of zealots who confront his aversion to religion. Accompanying Doug are not only sunny days and the beauty of nature but also the perils of the road, fellow travelers with their own stories, and the hollow silence of solitary campsites playing host to unseen creatures of the night.

A jarring episode on a climb through a treacherous pass brings Doug face-to-face with life and death. Will Doug’s adventure deliver him from loneliness and lament . . . or hurtle him to an abrupt end?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What a ride this book took me on! I was impressed at the pacing where the first part of Doug's bicycling journey from Los Angeles up north and then east felt long and arduous; this helped me to relate to his trip through all the vivid descriptions of the wilderness. To say I was unprepared for the second part where non-stop action takes place is an understatement. It truly felt like biking uphill, only to see everything unfold at rapid speed. Though I'm not a cyclist, I appreciated all of the spiritual metaphors that Tim Bishop employs to show us what life looks like when we take on too heavy a load.

The themes of sacrifice, forgiveness, and God's persistent love all tie together beautifully into this redemptive story. The characters are earnest in their Christian faith but also demonstrate it instead of only preaching it. I would say that this is not a breezy read, but that it is worthwhile to see how everything comes together. There are a few trigger warnings for content referencing drug addiction, depression and suicide attempts, and depictions of lust, but the message of the Gospel is solid and pivotal to the characters’ lives. If you have the opportunity to read The Persistent Road with a map, you can truly follow along for the adventure!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for the time you took to read my novel and review it and the thought you put into your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I enjoyed journeying with Doug and meeting all of the people around him :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...