Skip to main content

Review: Love Under Construction - Chokecherry Heights #1

Love Under Construction book cover on blue background

Love Under Construction was a book that I had the opportunity to finish during the holidays, and it was definitely an enjoyable follow-up to Henry and Evaline! I've heard so many people raving about Penny Zeller's books, and though I haven't read her historical fiction yet, I'm now even more keen to read all of her titles.

Book Synopsis

She builds websites. He builds houses. Together, can they build a family for two orphans?

Irelynn agreed two years ago to help raise her best friend’s twins should anything happen. When she is called upon to fulfill that agreement, there is only one problem—Irelynn must share the responsibility with the arrogant but handsome Quinton Gregory.

Quinton takes the role of raising his niece and nephew with all seriousness. He will do anything for the twins, even if it means putting up with the beautiful but stubborn Irelynn Brady.

When forced to be in each other’s presence far more often than is comfortable, things slowly begin to change. Will the unexpected attraction between Irelynn and Quinton become a love under construction?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What a delight to see what has come from the Gregorys' relationship in Henry and Evaline through their grandson's story! Though Quinton and Irelynn start off as adversaries, they do warm up to each other; I appreciated both the slow burn and the friendship that develops between them. I also loved the relationships that they had with the twins and how they worked hard to make the guardianship a success while navigating feelings around grief and loss. Though there is a minor miscommunication trope, readers will enjoy the story around how Quinton and Irelynn strive to follow God's plan for their lives despite some of the difficulties they face.

This book demonstrates selflessness and dependency on God, especially when things are not going the way that the characters envision they should be going. If anything, Love Under Construction depicts what it is like to trust God in all circumstances, even when they are beyond our understanding. Though we are all under construction in a sense, God's love is vast and immeasurable. This is a gentle story with deep truths, and there are hilarious moments that take place with the side characters, such as Mrs. Caruthers. Readers looking for an opposites-attract relationship (though we all know that Quinton and Irelynn have a lot in common!) will enjoy just how much kindness and consideration play a part in their budding romance. Chokecherry Heights is worth visiting, and it is heartwarming to see the Gregorys' legacy of love live on through later generations.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...