Skip to main content

Happy New Year!

lit sparkler against black background

I wanted to write a little something to ring in the new year that doesn't have anything to do with social media, much like how blogging was when I first started doing it two decades ago (I really do miss those days!). One of the reasons I loved blogging then was that social interaction took place on the blogs themselves, as opposed to on other platforms where there could be limitations. I've found it quite difficult to flesh out information when most platforms are now oriented toward short-form content. As a result, it's easier to miss context and for people to only engage with higher-level ideas or summaries. Though I have tried to maintain a social media platform to complement this blog, my first desire is to actually write as opposed to taking pictures or creating videos.

With the start of a new year, it's been a great time to reflect back on life in 2023 and what I hope for in 2024. As I shared in the lessons that I learnt from the past year, there have been ups and downs in reentering the online world. I confess that I am still apprehensive about sharing my thoughts and book reviews so publicly, so one of my prayers has been that I can maintain a small audience. Having a larger audience will not be my goal if I can help it; my goal is more to find fellowship with like-minded believers and readers since very few people in my social circles read the same books that I do. Further to that, I want to continually point to Jesus in what I write, which means that I don't feel the need to share much about myself. I understand that I'll bring my own perspectives and biases into what I write, but I see this more as an outlet in acknowledging God than in building up anything of my own (yes, it is ironic that I have a logo, but that's more for technical reasons than anything else 😄). Christian Shelves only exists because of Him, and I'm reminded that it's a very humble platform that I can stop using at any time if God asks me to do so.

Keeping those things in mind, I'm discerning how best to use my time on here this upcoming year. My first love is God and I have felt a renewed energy in becoming more grounded in His Word. I'm learning so much, and see the need to plunge into the Bible even more. I also love reading Christian books, and have found my interest in secular books waning. While there have been some years where the proportion has been heavily skewed toward secular books, I just want to soak up everything that I can about God now. It almost feels like I'm back in school with this mindset, but I'm hoping that it's the Holy Spirit at work that is causing me to feel this way. This has me quite excited for what God will do next in my life, along with feeling grateful for what He has already been doing. I love that a new year brings with it a reminder of God's promises and a joyful anticipation of how much closer we can draw to Him.

My prayer for this year and every year is that God will lead and guide me as I surrender to Him.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
  in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight."

May Jesus Christ be glorified and His name lifted on high!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...