Skip to main content

Review: What I Like About Us

What I Like About Us book cover on blue background

Taking a break from posting Christmas books, I wanted to share a book that recently captured my attention. What I Like About Us is the most recent release from Elizabeth Trent, and it was such a treat to read it this month.

Book Synopsis

In a world dominated by dating apps, can faith and trust lead to a lasting connection?

Hunter Teague has always dreamed of planning weddings. She is no stranger to love stories, but when her best friend signs her up for a dating app, she never expected to fall for someone she's never seen. With nothing to lose, Hunter takes a chance and finds herself falling in love with her online match.

Derrick Ross, a tech app developer, has achieved everything he ever wanted, except for true love. Determined to find his soulmate, he creates a revolutionary app that matches people based on shared values and interests in the hope of finding his soulmate. When he connects with a perfect match on the app, he is convinced he has finally found the one he has been looking for.

Hunter's life takes an unexpected turn when she's hired to plan Derrick's sister's wedding. Despite initial disagreements, Hunter and Derrick are drawn to each other. Their undeniable chemistry raises the question of whether to act on their growing feelings or stick with the app's matches.

Will they trust in God's plan and find the courage to follow their hearts?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This was my first time reading a book by Elizabeth Trent, and it left me wanting to read her other titles now. I appreciated the banter and chemistry between Hunter and Derrick, and all of the loveable characters in their lives, cheering them on and providing spiritual wisdom when needed. Although the main characters both faced difficulty in their lives and relationships, there is such optimism and hope that God's ways will prevail. I couldn't help but reread significant passages where they are praying or learning how to further trust in God as the words were so relevant, compelling, and touching.

The You've Got Mail theme plays prominently into Hunter and Derrick's interactions; however, the focus moves from the plot to the individual struggles that each person is facing. What I loved seeing was how people were able to acknowledge their character defects and its impact on others, while relying on God's strength to change. There is a sense of genuine faithfulness that emerges as the characters continually seek God's will over their own. What I Like About Us offers readers so much to like, from the charged dialogue between Hunter and Derrick to seeing how God answers prayer to the charming friends and family members who do everything they can to encourage a budding romance.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...