Skip to main content

Review: Originally Yours

Originally Yours book cover on blue background

I have such a soft spot for novellas. In between longer books, they're perfectly-sized stories that I can get into, and depending on how well they're written, read through in almost no time. With Christmas coming up in just a little over two months, I thought that Carolyn Miller's short story (available for free to newsletter subscribers) would be a great way to get into the Christmas spirit.

Book Synopsis

Two opposites discover they have more in common than they realize at Christmas...

Gloria Wilcox is getting ready to leave her small Wisconsin town and return home for Christmas—and all the family drama there. Her best friend's recent interest in handsome-but-sports-mad Josiah Abrahams doesn't bother her. At all.

But when time spent together proves that Josiah is much nicer than she's always assumed, Gloria has to protect her own heart, as well as her friend's. Besides, everyone knows that opposites can attract, but whether they can last is another story.

As a snowstorm threatens their Christmas plans, these two find more in common than they realize. Perhaps they can find magic under the mistletoe after all...

Source: BookFunnel

Book Thoughts

It's not often that I read a novella that leaves such a big impression, as Originally Yours did. This could be due to Gloria and Josiah attending Bible college, or it could be that their sweet and charming story fits the bill for Christmas romance. It could also be that Carolyn Miller completely captures the joy and wonder of first relationships along with the turbulent emotions of crushes. I also think it's the sincerity of her characters and how well they demonstrate their faith. As a Bible college graduate, I can see Gloria and Josiah reflected in my former classmates, which makes their story all the more heartwarming, especially given that their story takes place around the same time.

If this book is the prequel to the Original Six Hockey Romance series, then I know that I am in for a treat. I love that within this short story, it felt like the characters were fully fleshed out and that it left you wanting more. A few Australian-isms in the book reminded me that the author is not from North America, which means that she has the incredible ability to write in any number of settings. This adorable opposites-attract story has me excited for what's next and whether I will get to see Gloria and Josiah again!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...