Skip to main content

#JesusistheLightoftheWorldReadathon

5 book covers with accompanying readathon prompts on blue background

Today is the day! Please join me as I embark on the Jesus is the Light of the World Readathon and Christian Readathon for October 2023 on Instagram.

📖 John 8:12 - Jesus is the Light of the World

📄 Purpose: Read Christian books by Christian authors in October

🗓 Readathon Dates: Thursday, October 5, 2023 - Friday, October 20, 2023 (I'll probably need the whole month, and more!)

🕯 Why this readathon at this time? Because the darkness that seems to invade us in real life and online during the month of October intensifies. Just as God was the light that led the Israelites when they were lost in the wilderness, Jesus lights our way through every shadow and bit of darkness.

These are the Readathon Prompts:

  • 📙 Shining Faithfulness - A book that explores the journey of finding faith or cultivating faith in Jesus
  • 📙 Radiant Characters - A book with inspiring characters who live out their Christian faith.
  • 📙 Historical Brilliance - Dive into a historical/ancient novel set during Biblical times.
  • 📙 Lighthouse of Hope - A book that includes faith, hope, and love during challenging times.
  • 📙 "Light" in the Title - A book with the word "light" in the title.

This looks to be a great way to get into some titles I've been meaning to for a while, so I appreciate that @cup.tea.reads, @reflectingonthepages, @carrie__on__reading, and @devotedtohope are hosting this event. What a wonderful way to shine the light on Jesus!

Since it'll be a full month of reading these and a few ARCs, I'm actually going to be sharing some of my favourite books this month for reviews, rather than only recently read books—enjoy! 😀

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...