Skip to main content

Friday Reads

Julia Monroe Begins Again and Another Gospel? books side by side on wooden table

I'm delighted to have received a new ARC for this week from Bethany House Publishers, and look forward to diving in—thank you! What a fun Friday I will have 😊

📘 Christian fiction: Julia Monroe Begins Again by Rebekah Millet
📗 Christian non-fiction: Another Gospel? A Lifelong Christian Seeks Truth in Response to Progressive Christianity by Alisa Childers

Confession time: I love reading Christian apologetics, and have been listening to Alisa Childers' podcast for a number of years now. I've been meaning to get into her book, especially since she has a newer one out now called Live Your Truth and Other Lies. When I was in Bible college and seminary, I always gravitated toward systematic theology, so getting to read these types of books fills that interest for me. My desire is to live up to the words in 2 Timothy 2:15:

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (KJV)

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. (NIV)

It's funny that I memorized the second half of this verse in the KJV translation, considering that I normally read the NIV translation. There is something poetic about "rightly dividing" that has me picturing a fine dissection of God's Word, delving in and being precise with it, as we study God's truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...