Skip to main content

Fair Usage

open laptop with various images on the screen beside a plant, tablet, and headphones

Having worked in communications and being aware of copyright issues, I am doing my best to set up my blog and social media in a way that does not infringe on anyone's rights. While I am starting to introduce some of my own pictures, I am also reliant on royalty-free stock images, such as Pixabay. 

Reading and adhering to their content license summary means that I am trying to be extra careful in what I select and how I use it, regardless of my limited scope and reach. If you hover over any of the images I have used on here, you will see the attribution information 🙂

Right now, I am researching fair usage of book covers for book reviews, one of the things that I am eager to embark on. In wanting to do this right, I have found some interesting articles that speak to this matter:

Since book covers are copyrighted by nature, this led me down another interesting rabbit hole about the cover's rights and their ownership:

In conclusion, it looks like book covers are copyrighted, but would fall under Fair Dealing in Canada where, "Canadians enjoy fair dealing protections as a right for research, private study, education, parody, satire, criticism, review, and news reporting [emphasis mine]. These activities are not copyright infringement...." This is similar in the States where the U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use Index states the following:

Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works in certain circumstances. Section 107 of the Copyright Act provides the statutory framework for determining whether something is a fair use and identifies certain types of uses—such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research—as examples of activities that may qualify as fair use.

From what I've read, fair dealing and usage can also be extended to advertising activity, and as book reviews are a form of promotion, it seems that most authors would want this to take place (some of the blogs above mention the rarity of being sued for such a good-faith act).

Copyright law itself seems to be complex and fascinating, especially for a non-lawyer like me. For a look at some of the other sites I came across while delving into this topic, check out:

While fair dealing and usage would apply to my book reviews, I will likely take the cautious route and be selective in just using book covers where I can and either relying on personal pictures or royalty-free pictures for the remainder of the graphics. As a Christian, I want to be above reproach in these ethical matters, but also be open to learning if I have done something incorrectly and fixing those errors right away.

Credit for this post: Much thanks to Shannon at The Reel Bookery for bringing this topic to the forefront of readers' minds! She is well worth following for her amazingly creative bookish content, along with her passion to stand up for others through various initiatives she's undertaken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...