Skip to main content

Review: Singing Through Fire

Singing Through Fire book cover on blue background

I actually didn't know if I would be able to read this book in time for its release but from the moment I started, I couldn't help but keep on going until I knew the full story. Singing Through Fire by Lara Silverman is not only a captivating memoir, but it is so worshipful that I couldn't help but pray along as I read her story.

If you're interested in this book before release date, you can visit Lara's form to receive the book order link on August 26, 2025.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

What if you fall in love on the brink of death? Singing Through Fire invites readers into the Job-like true story of a young woman who loses everything—and dares to ask why a good God allows it.

When Stanford Law graduate Lara Palanjian collapses on her dream job, she never imagines it will lead to four years bedridden—or to the love of her life.

Enter Matthew Silverman: a witty, wise, and impossibly joyful youth pastor and professor facing terminal cancer. What begins with a few random encounters soon ignites an extraordinary, God-written love story that neither of them saw coming.

As their unlikely romance unfolds between medical crises, late-night laughter, and unexpected musical performances, Matthew's unshakable faith challenges everything Lara thinks she knows about God’s goodness—and what it means to walk with Christlike faith, resilience, and joy in the face of overwhelming grief and suffering.

But with time against them, one question looms louder than the rest: What if this gift is only for a moment?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book brought tears to my eyes. I'm grateful that God led several people to remark to Lara Silverman that she should capture her life experience in the form of a book as it pays such loving honour to her husband and to her Saviour. I was incredibly touched by this memoir and how well everything was documented, allowing me to step into Lara and Matthew's journey and feel some of the emotions captured on the pages. This moving story of a deep, enduring love is the definition of what it means to persevere in the midst of many trials by fire, while inspiring hope through an eternal perspective that one day, all will be made right again. It's simply an unbelievable and utterly romantic story that will sweep you off your feet while having you kneel before the Father at the same time after reading about fellow believers who understand what it means to surrender all to Jesus.

If it wasn't for the fact that this book was based on a true story, it would almost read as a sweeping fictional saga. Instead, it's grounded in reality against the backdrop of a musical number that carries us through the journey of terminal illness, unexplained medical conditions, and unanswered questions. Despite these harrowing circumstances, Lara and Matthew encourage Christians to worship God when there are tests all around us, exemplifying what faithfulness to Him can look like. Filled with humour, heart, and honesty, readers looking for a powerful testimony that glorifies God during the most excruciating times in our lives will find that there can be Singing Through Fire, just as the Silverman family has been doing.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...