Skip to main content

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

All the Suspects on Campus book cover on blue background

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert, I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series. And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place.

It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados.

Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical.

Book Synopsis

A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case?

Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virginia college, has made a fascinating literary discovery in her new home: a hidden library tucked behind a secret door. The cozy room is stocked with an entire leather-bound collection of Agatha Christie books—the perfect setting for a private book club with her college-grad daughter, Millie.

Unfortunately, before the first meeting even takes place, fellow English professor Lucas Clements is found strangled in the campus pool. Then a skittish young student named Avery is reported missing. Noticing parallels to one of Dame Agatha’s classics—their first book club pick—Jo Blue can’t resist doing a little sleuthing of her own.

But if there’s one thing any Agatha fan should know to expect, it’s a plot twist—and a rising body count. Jo Blue’s library is just one of many secrets in this college town…and some of them are downright deadly…

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Fans of Agatha Christie will have lots to look forward to in this homage to her works. Combining similar twisty scenarios and solutions, Josephine (Jo Blue) Oliver unwittingly takes on the role of Ariadne Oliver by finding herself in the middle of a university campus murder mystery. As a widowed mother with a caring heart for her students, Jo Blue reconnects with the boyfriend of her youth to piece together a scenario that increasingly resembles the book she is reading (mais bien sûr!).

This book delivers puzzle upon puzzle, making it an enjoyable journey to find out whodunit. Heather Day Gilbert writes in such a way that it is easy to keep the pages turning until the very end. I love the relationship that Jo Blue has with her daughter, and I appreciate how realistic it is that Jo Blue is still trying to navigate the relationship she has with her own mother. Since this story is more focused on mystery than on romance, it really opens the door for more in the series. Readers who want to join the Christie Club will have fun being on campus again, albeit at a distance from all the strange happenings that demand an answer.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

He glanced at me. “I’ll pray, so we can eat.” There was something comforting in hearing Dane offer his simple prayer, that God would help us find Avery and get to the truth of what was going on. I appreciated that his faith wasn’t something he put on for Sundays at church. Faith was the only thing that had sustained me during Greer’s darkest days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...